New Water Heater Noise

Users who are viewing this thread

Snarf

Reaction score
I had a new electric 50 gallon water heater (Bradford White RE350T6) installed a few months ago. It makes a "refilling" noise for about 2-3 minutes after anytime hot water is used. This can be heard near any plumbing location throughout the house. The water heater itself is in the basement. It is not leaking anywhere. Plumber said that it was fine. Noise was coming from the check valve... That didn't sound right to me. So, I thought I'd ask here for another opinion. Noise is difficult to isolate as it can be heard in the tank, pipes, etc. It doesn't seem louder near the check valve (on cold water supply side). If that was the source of the noise, you'd think it would be louder there. Also, I have a temperature test card from the electric utility. My hot water doesn't even register on the card (below 120 degrees). Put a temp probe in and it read 112 degrees. Any thoughts?

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you have a thermal expansion tank? It should normally be empty. Rap on it to see that it has a hollow sound.

Snarf

Reaction score
No expansion tank. Just the T&P valve. That doesn't have any water (or noise that I can tell) coming out.

Reach4

Reaction score
Get a pressure gauge. What does the pressure gauge say when you are getting the noise?

You can attach a garden hose thread gauge to a laundry tap, outside spigot, or the drain on the WH.

Snarf

Reaction score
Not looking to fix this myself. Paid a ton of money for this new WH. So, I'll have the plumber come back to fix if necessary. I just want to know if what he said about the check valve seems likely or if I should push them to fix a deeper problem.

Reach4

Reaction score
A pressure gauge will cost under $20 --often well under. If the pressure is rising to over 100 psi, you will need a thermal expansion tank.

The reason I am thinking along the lines of a thermal expansion tank is the timing of your sounds after you stop using hot water. A nearly free alternative test is to dribble a tiny amount of cold water, maybe from the kitchen or lavatory faucet, when you have the noise. If dribbling that water makes the sound go away or prevents it, you will need a thermal expansion tank. The plumber will charge for that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks