New tub, Do I Durock over lip? Is it OK to use PVC W&O drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

jpatz18

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the drain is in a concealed location, the new codes call for a waste and overflow that is glued with no slip nut joints. If it's accessible, you use one with slip nut joints.
I have seen backer board installed over the lip if the walls are shimmed, and I've seen the backer board held up above the lip.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The first question would be why are you using a steel tub. In my opinion, they are worthless the day they are installed and just go downhill from there.

Reach4

Reaction score
The first question would be why are you using a steel tub. In my opinion, they are worthless the day they are installed and just go downhill from there.
Is that an endorsement of acrylic tubs?
gallery_298_17_4640.jpg

jpatz18

Reaction score
If the drain is in a concealed location, the new codes call for a waste and overflow that is glued with no slip nut joints. If it's accessible, you use one with slip nut joints.
I have seen backer board installed over the lip if the walls are shimmed, and I've seen the backer board held up above the lip.
Thanks All the ones I looked at have slip nuts. Where do i get them where they dont?

JRC3

Reaction score
Glue traps are over with all the other pvc fittings and not with the regular traps.

I install my backer board above the lip. One reason is so the last row of tile stays flat. It's easier because the tile doesn't have to be cut to fit the adjacent wall, but more so the tile job just looks better. The other reason, not sure if true or not, I think it gives less chance of water wicking up the backer board. That space behind the tile at the tub will more than likely always be wet.

MKS

Reaction score
3x114 gets a good 300 lb cast-iron tub.
Not easy to move but proven. In the big picture this is a big job, would cost 10k plus , a couple hundred more on the tub is not a big deal considering your doing it yourself.
I like stepping in the cast-iron tub, it doesn't move.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most people these days are using fairly large tile. The guideline is that your tile should be supported by more than 1/2 on the wall for the bottom row. Since you aren't walking on it, it doesn't need to be fully supported (but it doesn't hurt!). Tub flanges vary from barely nothing to maybe as much as 2" tall, depending on the model and materials involved.

Personally, I'd trash the cbu and use something like KerdiBoard or WediBoard...totally waterproof once you've treated the seams and penetrations, goes up quicker, much easier to carry and cut, neater (cbu dust can be carcinogenic). If you wish, you can easily notch the backside of those boards with a rabbit joint, and lap it over the tub flange. It will allow a totally waterproof seal to the tub surface (cbu is NOT waterproof, but is not damaged by being wet). Yes, they do cost more, but you'll end up with something waterproof verses water resistant and not break your back carrying it upstairs in the process!

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
"Personally, I'd trash the cbu and use something like KerdiBoard or WediBoard...totally waterproof once you've treated the seams and penetrations, goes up quicker, much easier to carry and cut, neater (cbu dust can be carcinogenic). If you wish, you can easily notch the backside of those boards with a rabbit joint, and lap it over the tub flange. It will allow a totally waterproof seal to the tub surface (cbu is NOT waterproof, but is not damaged by being wet). Yes, they do cost more, but you'll end up with something waterproof verses water resistant and not break your back carrying it upstairs in the process!"

I still use cement boards. There is no dust if you use the right cutting tool. You can even notch it with a sharp utility knife. Cement boards do need moisture barriers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks