New toilet still won't flush

Users who are viewing this thread

Tub Refinisher

Tub refinisher
Reaction score
Website
www.permaglazenorthdallas.com
My toilet got clogged up and was spewing water from the mounting bolts when it was flushed. I tried snaking, plunging, replacing wax ring, snaking toiled from underneath - still wouldn't flush, so I figured it was totally jammed up. So I purchase a new toilet and install and IT STILL WON'T FLUSH! the water sits in the bowl, about to overflow, and won't complete the flush cycle. So now I guess it's clogged in the drain line somewhere. Is it time to call a plumber? Did I wast my money on a new toilet?

Barry

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Yes, the old toilet was OK. You have a stoppage in the waste line. Your first clue was the water was coming out around the closet bolts. That tells me the water had passed through the toilet.

John

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Frequently the snakes available to the DIYer are too small to clear the obstruction. They often just poke a hole through the clog without breaking it up. Also, the snake really should be long enough to go completely through the pipe to the sewer main or septic tank which again, DIY sized snakes usually can't do. I hope your new toilet is a Toto. If it is, then your goof will actually end up in your favor.

Reaction score
This incident kind of reminds me of a fellow in northeast Texas who put in some new carpet in his master bedroom. He noticed the door was rubbing badly on the new, thicker carpet.

So he took the door down and cut off 1/4". He hung it back up and the door still rubbed. So he took it down again and cut off another 1/4". He hung it back up and the door still rubbed the carpet!?!

Frustrated, he took it off one last time and said, "It won't rub after this" and he whacked off another 1/2". He rehung the door and to his astonishment it still rubbed but there was a large gap at the top of the door and the frame...

True story, and no, it wasn't me.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
people

Or like the guy who complained that he could not light the pilot on the new electric water heater I had installed. He also made the 10:00 o'clock news because he also called the gas company about it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If water is coming out below the bowl, and the water doesn't go down, it's a main line clog.

That's when I tell the homeowener to call someone that has a large snake for clearing mainlines.

And the door story is funny.

Reaction score
Had a plumber out this morning. He used a power auger in the cleanout and now all's well. Oh well, my wife likes the new toilet anyway...

Then it's a win. The path getting there might not have been what you hoped, but the end result is good.

Anyone who is willing to work on things/problems themselves will have their share of stories of making the wrong call on something. Fortunately, much of the time nobody else is watching when we have one of these "learning experiences."

Firemark

Reaction score
This incident kind of reminds me of a fellow in northeast Texas who put in some new carpet in his master bedroom. He noticed the door was rubbing badly on the new, thicker carpet.[/I]....

Wait a minute, I swear I never told ANYONE about doing that and I've never lived in northeast Texas! Besides, it was the closet door in the 2nd bedroom.:eek:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks