New toilet runs spontaneously

Users who are viewing this thread

Higgledy

Reaction score
In January 2019, my landlord hired a plumber to replaced my toilet with a new American Standard toilet. (I know the plumber bought the toilet from Home Depot, if that makes a difference to this problem.)

The toilet flushes and works fine except that it has began to spontaneously run as if the flapper was old and brittle. I looked around in the tank, but I don't see anything wrong. The flapper looks fine. One thing I saw with the flapper is that it is rubber, but underneath it has some kind of plastic support thing. I have never seen that on a flapper before.

Any ideas on the problem? Thank you.

BTW, I don't want to bother my landlord with what can be a $4 fix. (He is a good guy.)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would pick up a new seal for it. The Champion uses a flat seal that and the Cadet series uses a flapper.
Those things can fail at anytime, and sooner if there is chlorine in the water.
Have a picture of the inside of the tank on your phone when you shop for it.

Higgledy

Reaction score
Thanks. I called the plumber. He warrants his work and American Standard warrants their toilet for two years. I have him coming out next week to fix the toilet. Better than me trying. The last time, I cracked the tank. --such an amateur.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks