New tank install

Users who are viewing this thread

Coalmover

Reaction score
Installing a new Rheem hot water heater for sister in law when I came across something I haven't seen before.
there is a 3/8 cold water line running to the drain. I was wondering if someone can help me out with a explanation to why. And do I really need it.
I will attach a picture.
Thank you
Kenneth

E1FB055E-C1DA-44CC-8AA3-486E268D5316.jpeg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are you sure it's from the cold water supply piping?

It would be nice to see the whole water heater for context. Get as much of the piping in the picture as you can.

Coalmover

Reaction score
Thank you for the explanation. went back today took another look it is actually a 1/2 inch line.
traced it to the next level then lost it. I checked under every sink and around the tank can't locate any recirculation pump.
any thoughts?

Thanks Again

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thank you for the explanation. went back today took another look it is actually a 1/2 inch line.
traced it to the next level then lost it. I checked under every sink and around the tank can't locate any recirculation pump.
any thoughts?

Thanks Again
If you can't find it then we can't either, lol.

When you were tracing it did it feel warm? I have a recirc line just like that. It'd runs by gravity and that was a popular way to do it for a while. But it being cold doesn't preclude it from being a recirc line as they were often installed badly/incorrectly which is why that method became illegal.

Is there a suspicious set of couplings anywhere that look about the size of a check valve replacement? Or a check valve itself?

Coalmover

Reaction score
If you can't find it then we can't either, lol.

When you were tracing it did it feel warm? I have a recirc line just like that. It'd runs by gravity and that was a popular way to do it for a while. But it being cold doesn't preclude it from being a recirc line as they were often installed badly/incorrectly which is why that method became illegal.

Is there a suspicious set of couplings anywhere that look about the size of a check valve replacement? Or a check valve itself?lol lol

Coalmover

Reaction score
lol lol
do not see a check valve. the line felt definitely cold but I did not feel it with water running.
would it be acceptable to just close the valve and eliminate it?

Reach4

Reaction score
Recirc can also work with gravity. Cold water falls.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
lol lol
do not see a check valve. the line felt definitely cold but I did not feel it with water running.
would it be acceptable to just close the valve and eliminate it?
Probably. But who really knows?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks