new shower stems still leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

bugguts

Reaction score
Website
www.bcjunction.com
after running to 3 stores to locate the right stem{ I beleive I have the right one )
And finding a single shower steam socket w/o having to buy a set of 6,,,,,
I replaed the stems,, turned the h2o on and no water cmae pouring out..until I opened the valves and water came pouring out..
Now . Do I need to dope the caseing ,,,,,, or force it even more then I did
It seems to me it coming out from around the valve , not the seat /washer.because when I turn the fauce off the h20 stops
the valve also has another threaded fitting att he "front" that the stem comes out of ,,,, do I tighten that down as well...
by the way it came with a small brass fitting , I assume is a replacement valve seat , I have no idea how I would get that into the shower manifold w/o ripping the wall down

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Well, we need some help....how about some pictures.

You say you "think" you got the right part. That is a risky assumption in plumbing. We would like to see pictures of the old and new one. If this is a typical 2 or 3 handle shower, then yes the seat inside needs to be replaced. Yes, you need to buy another $8 tool to do that, or you could pay a plumber $100 for a service call. He will have the tools!

There is probably a gland nut which tightens up the packing around the stem. The stem should be well lubricated, then tightening that by the proper amount will allow smooth operation with no leaks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

So far we don't really know whether you replaced the correct unit, where the leak is, or anything else. It is like saying, "I replaced the doofus, but the thingamabob is leaking. Should I tighten it more?", when we don't even know if you tightened it enough.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks