New Kitchen Sink, Lowering Trap

Users who are viewing this thread

Cduffie2

Reaction score
I had a new farmhouse sink with a single drain installed, replacing the old double drain sink and I should have known better - but did not measure everything beforehand. Well I did, but failed to realize the the under mount sink would now sit lower than the previous one. A couple of pictures attached showing what was there, once the new sink was install, and what it looks like with the wall open and the old double wye removed.

IMG_5657.jpg
IMG_5573.jpg
IMG_5627.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-03-19 at 5.07.55 PM.png

IMG_5573.jpgIMG_5627.jpgIMG_5657.jpg

My goal is to lower the trap a few inches to give enough room to connect the new trap. I'm looking at replacing the old galvanized all the way over the the stack, and was curious on any recommendations on the best setup. Appreciate the help!

A few questions:
· From the stack to the 90, is there anything I should change?
· From the end of the horizontal run to the trap, what's the best setup?
· Should I use a regular 90 or try a long sweep 90?
· Should I use a 2" to 1-1/2" trap adapter?
· Something else all together?
Screen Shot 2022-03-19 at 5.07.55 PM.png

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally I would have a 2" cleanout on the vertical, and then run a 1.5" trap arm with a medium 90 looking out.
I've been roughing at 16" above the kitchen floor for the deep 10" sinks we're now seeing. 15" would also work.

Inspectors like to see a full size cleanout that is accessible.

Cduffie2

Reaction score
Thanks Terry! Just to make sure I understand — the horizontal could be 1-1/2" instead of 2", right? Also, there's a cleanout downstairs but sounds like inspectors like to see one closer than that?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks