New Fleck 5600SXT Resin in water

Users who are viewing this thread

Kris41

Reaction score
I recently installed a new system in my house and it was a relatively simple install. Withinin hours though my sink aerator and washing machine inlet were clogged with resin. I followed the install instructions and ran off 25 gallons or so before opening any other faucets, until the water ran clear into a utility sink. I expected to see/find some resin during the first few days of usage but I seeing crazy amounts in the showers, the toilets and faucet aerators. I confirmed the inlet and outlet connections are correct. So I’m hoping to be told I need to do something simple or that I missed a step.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Was an initial backwash or full regeneration performed after installation, so as to flush-out any fractured resin beads to drain? There shouldn't be many fractured beads but they may appear to be a substantial quantity if you're not expecting to see them.

If the connections are plumbed correctly, then I suspect a defective riser tube or bottom distributor basket. To inspect, the head will need to be removed to pull-out the riser and distributor.

Was a gravel underbed installed? An underbed is always recommended as in addition to distributing flow across the tank's entire diameter, it holds the resin away from the bottom distributor, thereby reducing the possibility of resin discharge if there ever is an issue with the distributor.

If there is no gravel, the distributor and riser may be installed again without needing to remove the resin. If there is gravel, then the resin and gravel will need to be dumped out to install the riser & distributor. The resin and gravel can re reused as the gravel will settle to the tank bottom during the first regeneration cycle.

Kris41

Reaction score
Thank you for the detailed and quick response. I’m not 100% sure about the gravel though I’m guessing it doesn’t have a gravel layer . I did expect to see some resin and I expected that I’d see it for a few days or so, but the amount that I’m seeing is significant- along the lines of 2-3 cups, and enough to clog 2 differerent shower heads, 3 sink aerators , a dishwater and washing machine. The upside is the water quality (hardness) has improved dramatically. Is there anything in the control module setup that I may have missed or screwed up that would allow resin to bypass the control ?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Gravel under-bedding or Vortech tank is a must.

Cheap riser screens (available from China for less than 25 cents) are a common cause of this issue. Even good quality screens can be a problem if they are mishandled excessively during shipping or assembly.

Brand new resin may have some fines and can bleed through a screen. Put the system through an extra regeneration, this will force the smaller resin beads to the top of the bed and should minimize this issue. If you continue to get resin out of the system and your unit is not plumbed in backwards then the only way for resin to get out is through the bottom screen or a cracked riser tube.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks