New Build in Michigan - Something doesn't look right

Users who are viewing this thread

CanadaGuy

Reaction score
The image below is a view from the first floor of the 2nd floor bath drain and supply system that sits in roughly the center of the upper floor.

We're building a new home in Canton, MI, and the plumbing was just roughed in by the plumber, but this drain arrangement looks odd to me.

Let's assume first that the drain from the Toilet is actually sloped 1/4" per foot (I have to go back with a ladder to check it). That horizontal run continues off the image for another 16ft before it comes to the soil stack at the outer wall of the house.

But, my main issue is the way they tied the Tub and Sink into the toilet. It seems to me that the Wye they put in should attach such that the tub and sink enter from the TOP of the drain line, not the side. With such a long drain across the house to the stack, I am concerned about waste in the toilet backflowing into the smaller pipes leading back to the sink and tub.

Also, not shown above the floor: The sink is vented in a wall, so I would imagine this makes a "wet vent" for the system--is that right?

Lastly, the entire system they put in has ONE pipe sticking out of the roof of the 2nd floor. I saw a 4" pipe through the attic to outside, but it immediately is reduced to about a 2" pipe, which then splits off all over the house horizontally to all the rooms needing venting. There is no 4" continuous stack from the basement up to the roof. After the pipes get up from the basement to the first floor, they get smaller and continue up to the attic to join this "manifold" in the attic before popping through the roof.

Any comments would help as you never know how well the city inspector looks at some of these things before signing off.

LoftBath_PlumbingUnderFloor_2 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That is a wet vented bathroom. The discharge from the toilet is going downstream and since it goes past a wye, it keeps on going. I don't see a problem for the tub or the lav.

A bathroom takes a 2" vent in most codes and things like a kitchen sink or washer will have a 1.5" vent.
Those can tie together in the attic before going through the roof.
Where I'm at, a three bath home needs a 3" vent or the composite area of a three by combining smaller pipes.
A four bath home gets a 4" vent. In places where there is a worry about frost, they will increase the size of a 3" vent to a larger size.

CanadaGuy

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, Terry. Shouldn't the drain from the sink line connect in to the soil line from above? Seems like coming in from the side is weird.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The side is fine. You're dropping through a 2" trapway into a 3" pipe that is like having two 2" pipes and an 1-1/2" pipe in volume.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks