Need to replace icemaker valve, can you identify the fitting?

Users who are viewing this thread

TomAZ

Reaction score
I had a leaking icemaker shut off valve, and tried to replace just the valve with no luck. Cut away some wall to see what I was dealing with. I’m new to any kind of flexible tubing so I’m asking for some identification and advice. Thanks, Tom.

B74253AD-E649-4CD4-85D7-494353AC9132.jpeg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
1/2" PEX feeding it.
What you have has been modified. to go from 1/2" copper to PEX
Not all PEX has the same inside dimension though. There is also a possibility that the shutoff in the box may have a standard thread on it, if that's the case, you can spin off that one and spin on a new one.
Ice make line is 1/4" OD for the line going to the icemaker, the threads with the tape may be 1/2" MIP, maybe.

TomAZ

Reaction score
The valve on the left could not be turned off. Leaked out of the 1/4” outlet. The box on the right is a standard Brasscraft 1/2” in 1/4” out angle valve. I thought it would work.

image.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
What is the diameter of the thread, as measured with a digital caliper (or micrometer)?
img_1.jpg

TomAZ

Reaction score
Oh. Fresh out of calipers. I have a SharkBite icemacker box that I though I may need to attach to copper. If I don’t care about locating it higher, can I just cut the pex and install a new box. The drywall is getting repaired anyway

TomAZ

Reaction score
It’s not pex. It’s soft and flexible. The only thing I can find is that it may be some material that begins with a W

TomAZ

Reaction score
image.jpg

Back to fixing the brass. It’s not a compression fitting. The threads are too course. The upper part it threaded on

TomAZ

Reaction score
Ok I think the solution is a 1/2 male pipe thread (MIP?) input and a 1/4” compression output. I was able to find a 1/4” FIP angle value with a 1/4” compression output at ACE. I also got a short make to male adapter. I put Teflon tape on the adapter, tightened the vape with wrenches, but it is still dripping from the adapter. I probably put the tape on too thick or the wrong direction. Would PTFE pipe compound work better?

Reach4

Reaction score
it is still dripping from the adapter.
I think it is hard to overtighten brass fittings with short wrenches.

You don't use PTFE tape on the compression fitting. You did not say where it was dripping.

TomAZ

Reaction score
image.jpg
I think it is hard to overtighten brass fittings with short wrenches.

You don't use PTFE tape on the compression fitting. You did not say where it was dripping.

I didn’t use PTFE tape on the compression output. I used it on the 1/2 FIP threads. The adapter adapts the angle valve with female recessed threads to a male with exposed threads. Then it screws back into a female with recessed threads. Follow me now? Here’s a pic:

Reach4

Reaction score
Try turning it with a couple good properly-fitting open-end wrenches wrenches -- one on the hex above the taped up nipple, and one below.

Normally when you apply PTFE tape, you don't spiral it on. If tightening doesn't do it, take it apart, and use both pipe dope (such as Rectorseal #5) and tape.

Taking the nut off of the side before turning may keep you from getting interference from the back of the box as you turn.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks