Need some basic advise on replacing water heater shutoff

Users who are viewing this thread

johnseeley

Reaction score
I need some basic advice on replacing my water heater shutoff. Picture attached. Actually I'm going to replace my main shutoff as well, but that's easy since I have enough flex in the pipe.

But with the water heater shutoff, I have no play to pull the pipe apart 3/4" to fit the new valve unless you think I'd have enough flex. I plan on hack sawing the old valve collar and then removing the 2 sections of valve to keep enough pipe to add the new valve. Or do you think replacing the whole section from elbow to elbow is better and add a compression union above your below the valve? Thanks.

Capture.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They do make copper couplings without the stop. They refer to them as repair couplings. Or "less stop"

copper-coupling-less-stop.jpg

Last edited:

johnseeley

Reaction score
They do make copper couplings without the stop. They refer to them as repair couplings. Or "less stop"

copper-coupling-less-stop.jpg

Totally forgot about those. That's why I ask the pros. Thanks. Can you please provide some steps on how you would replace that valve? It's 3/4".

Not enough room for a coupler on either side of the valve. How about putting the coupler on the section coming from the water heater?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I think I would cut at the lines, heat the shutoffs and slide them off. You can put a wet rag on the other side to keep those fittings from melting the solder there.

The water heater shutoff I would figure on replacing two 90's.
The main, either coupling or a coupling less stop.

seeley-01.jpg

johnseeley

Reaction score
I already bought the sweat on valves like a year ago. The big apollo (USA) white handle ones. Thanks.

Terry. Exactly what I was thinking for the water heater valve. The current main gate valve has a small body so I can do without a coupler there. I can cut just on the left side of it and heat-off the right. The new valves are a lot longer and there's plenty of flex in that vertical pipe coming from the street. Thanks.

That Mueller ball valve is only like 10 years old and it rotted right through the body. You can just see the white area under the handle.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks