Need Help with Water Softener Setting -- Fleck 5600 SXT

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, Questions and Answers' started by randomwalk, Jul 13, 2019.

1. randomwalk

randomwalk New Member

I recently had a 1.5 cubic ft. softener installed with a Fleck 5600 SXT valve. I looked into the settings and think they are currently incorrect. Can you help me with the correct settings?

The sticker near the brine line says 1.5 lbs. of salt / minute, which I think is equivalent to 0.5 gpm?

The sticker near the drain line says "Drain Flow 2.4 gpm" and "Injector 1".

Current Settings:
    DF = Gal
    VT = dF1b
    CT = Fd
    NT = 1
    C = 48 --> I think this is incorrect. It seems too high.
    H = 20 --> This is correct. I tested with Hach HB-5.
    RS = rc
    RC = 200 (is 200 gallons too low? On a normal day, I don't think we use 200 gallons).
    DO = 21
    RT = 3:30 AM
    BW = 10
    BD = 60
    RR = 10
    BF = 10
    FM = t1.0 --> I think this is correct. We do have 1" pipes.

I have seen the Resin Capacity Chart and wish to use the 8 lbs / cubic ft. setting, which seems the best?

In that case, should change the settings to the below?

C = 36
    BF = 8

I don't know how the BW, BD, and RR settings are determined. How should I set those?

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

System info (not programmed)
    salt lb/cuft = 8 ; A choice ( efficiency vs capacity)
    BLFC = 0.5 ; Brine Refill rate GPM
    cubic ft resin = 1.5 ; ft3 resin = (nominal grains)/32,000
    Compensated hardness = 22 ; including high-hardness compensation
    People = 3.3 ; gallons affects reserve calc
    Estimated gal/day = 200 ; 60 gal per person typical calc
    Estimated days/regen = 8.2 ; Computed days including reserve

Fleck 5600SXT Settings:
    DF = Gal ; Units
    VT = dF1b ; Downflw/Upflw, Single Backwash
    CT = Fd ; Meter Delayed regen trigger
    NT = 1 ; Number of tanks
    C = 36.0 ; capacity in 1000 grains
    H = 22 ; Hardness-- compensate if needed
    RS = rc ; rc says use gallons vs percent
    RC = 200 ; Reserve capacity gallons
    DO = 28 ; Day Override (28 if no iron)
    RT = 3:30 ; finishing about 5 am.
    BW = 5 ; Backwash (minutes)
    Bd = 60 ; Brine draw minutes (could reduce to 50)
    RR = 5 ; Rapid Rinse minutes
    BF = 8 ; Brine fill minutes
    FM = ____0.7 ; https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?attachments/img_fleck5600sxt_flow-png.31592/
    (t1.0 is not likely)

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. randomwalk

randomwalk New Member

Thanks, Reach!

I changed the settings and confirmed that FM = t0.7 is appropriate by filling a 5 gallon jug with water. The meter was accurate using t0.7 instead of t1.0.

Can you tell me the determinants of the BW, BD and RR settings?

Is a longer BW and RR better in that it cleans the resin better, but with the trade off of wasting more water?

What about BD? What is the effect of a longer or shorter BD?

The softener has a drain flow of 2.4 gpm. Is that the rate of water usage during the BW, RR and BD stages?

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

BW washes out solids. If there is less to wash out, reduction from the common 10 minutes is OK.
    RR reshuffles the resin.
    You want the brine to be drawn in about 15 minutes and the air check valve stops the flow from the brine tank. You want the remainder of the BD cycle to slowly rinse the brine from the resin. The total BD would be about 4 x the amount of time for the brine to be drawn. 3x is usually enough. If fine tuning, you could record the time to draw the brine, and use that to choose BD. Typically BD is 60 minutes rather than attempting fine tuning.

During BW and RR. BD water use is determined by the injector. There are usually graphs in the service manual.

6. randomwalk

randomwalk New Member

There's a sticker by the drain line that says "Injector 1". I'm not sure what that means though. How do I tell what injector I have?

7. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

That is a #1 Injector - White injector. That is the common injector for 1.5 cuft. You can use the common BD=60, but you could use BD=50 alternatively.