Need help with pressure tank issue please

Users who are viewing this thread

Negan1234

Reaction score
Recently purchased a house first time on well and septic so I'm still learning. Water pressure is very inconsistent, while showering the pressure gets very low then you can feel pump kick on and it gets very high. I have a welxtrol bladder tank then a Morton softener that is all I have far as filtration and what not. Went to check the pressure in the bladder tank and here is where my question is. The tank is a 30-50psi tank, the switch seems to be working properly as pump kicks on at 30 and off at 50. I bypassed the softener, turned off pump and drain the system. With the tank empty it is nice and light no water inside but the psi was at 17 whereas I believe it should be at 28, I was told it should be 2 below your cut in pressure. So I fill it up to 28 restart everything and there is literally no water pressure I can only run one fixture at a time. If I empty again and take psi back down to 17 everything is back to "normal". No idea why the thing works better at 17 than it does at 28 which is where I believe it should be. tank is an Amtrol WX-202 20 gal.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong or where to begin troubleshooting?

Reach4

Reaction score
If your pump is a jet pump (not a submersible down the hole), those take longer to start delivering water. For those you will want the air precharge set to 5 psi or more below the cut-in.

Try maybe 24 psi, and see how that goes.

With the pump stopped and the water pressure more than 30 psi, the water pressure and the air precharge will read about the same. That can let you compare the calibration of your air pressure gauge and your water pressure gauge.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If it was doing 30/50 with 17 PSI air in the tank, it should be doing 30/50 with 25 PSI air in the tank. Are you sure your gauge is good? Did it go to zero when you drained the tank? Air in the tank has nothing to do with how much pressure the pump can build.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Bladder side of tank that air pressure should have nothing to do with the pump delivering water because it would be 0 pressure on the pump side till water pressure from the pump pushed against it. Need a meter to check voltage and amperage to see if the pump is running and if it is then pipe from the pump could be compromised.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks