Need Help With New Tub Install Creaking Around Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

NoahP

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Hoping you can help me troubleshoot an issue. I just finished installing an aquatic A2 4 piece tub with surround. Unfortunately, after I already had the drywall patched up I noticed that there is some creaking when pressure is applied around the drain.

Not sure how I missed that during the install, but the only think I can think of that would be causing it is the PVC drain rubbing against the joist/floor. With the position of the drain on the tub there wasn’t really much I could do to avoid it being that close.

I didn’t set the tub in a bed but the rest of the tub is level and rock solid, the issue is only right around the drain.

Before I open up the ceiling from below I wanted to get the thoughts of some of the members on the forum since I’m 99% sure it is the trap making the noise and not the tub. Just want to make sure I’m thinking about it right and figure out what my options are.

Thanks!

Noah

Reach4

Reaction score
Is there an access panel on the other side of the wall? I am wondering if you could shove plastic bags of mortar between the bottom of the tub and the floor from the access port.. This would presume there is flooring there.

If that is a closet and you don't have an access panel, you might consider adding an access panel.

NoahP

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far - unfortunately the shower for the master bath is on the other side of the wall where the drain is located, so no access there.

To breplum’s point, right now I just need to open up the ceiling below and see what the problem is and then add some additional support around the drain. I will post a follow up with what I find.

NoahP

Reaction score
Quick update on this. The creaking wasn’t really bothering my wife so she wasn’t too keen on cutting a hole in our dining room ceiling for something that didn’t bother her.

Iwas still driving me crazy though so I decided to remove the drain flange to see if I could isolate the noise to the drain. After I did that, no more noise.

I’m using a danco touch toe drain stopper, and the flange uses a plastic thread adapter to match the diameter of the drain pipe. Turns out that the plastic adapter was screwed all the way down and making contact with the pvc drain.

Not sure if that is what was causing the problem or not, but the noise is gone and I didn’t have to cut a hole in the ceiling, so that is a win in my book!

NoahP

Reaction score
Pictures of the completed project

Attachments

• BCA0BAB2-AFCB-42FC-85DB-1061A2AE6472.jpeg
    BCA0BAB2-AFCB-42FC-85DB-1061A2AE6472.jpeg
    48.4 KB · Views: 171
  • E5619644-3CDD-4921-96B2-86D73D0C626E.jpeg
    E5619644-3CDD-4921-96B2-86D73D0C626E.jpeg
    48.2 KB · Views: 171
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks