Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
  1. Cut at yellow line or left of yellow line.
  2. turn new 45 in the direction of the red arrow.
  3. Cut extension or trap arm to size to make the drain match up.
IMG_1.jpg

If something like this doesn't work, cut the pipe from the left, before the first 45. Glue on a new trap adapter. Do what you need to do to not interfere with the other stuff.

It looks like your tee may be cut short.

JoeyDYI80

Reaction score
  1. Cut at yellow line or left of yellow line.
  2. turn new 45 in the direction of the red arrow.
  3. Cut extension or trap arm to size to make the drain match up.
View attachment 59194

If something like this doesn't work, cut the pipe from the left, before the first 45. Glue on a new trap adapter. Do what you need to do to not interfere with the other stuff.

It looks like your tee may be cut short.

So put the new 45 where I cut the extension at yellow line and then put on horizontal/p trap and adjust p trap to line up with drain. So I should not put the new 45 after the original 45 correct?

Reach4

Reaction score
So put the new 45 where I cut the extension at yellow line and then put on horizontal/p trap and adjust p trap to line up with drain. So I should not put the new 45 after the original 45 correct?
Correct. "After" can be ambiguous, but water exiting should hit the new slip 45 before hitting the existing 45 on its way out of the house.

For visualization, maybe remove the trap arm from that extender (piece with the yellow line drawn). Attach the tee under your drain and connect the tube from the disposal. That lets you check that the elevation from the disposal is right. Put the trap input under the tee. Then rotate the trap to see at what points the trap arm direction can meet the extension at 45 degrees. There may be a range, because of the extra pivot in the trap. This is the beauty of the slip stuff. You don't have to get it right the first try, as you do with glue.

Cut the extension in maybe the middle of that range if there is a range.

Last edited:

JoeyDYI80

Reaction score
Correct. "After" can be ambiguous, but water exiting should hit the new slip 45 before hitting the existing 45 on its way out of the house.

For visualization, maybe remove the trap arm from that extender (piece with the yellow line drawn). Attach the tee under your drain and connect the tube from the disposal. That lets you check that the elevation from the disposal is right. Put the trap input under the tee. Then rotate the trap to see at what points the trap arm direction can meet the extension at 45 degrees. There may be a range, because of the extra pivot in the trap. This is the beauty of the slip stuff. You don't have to get it right the first try, as you do with glue.

Cut the extension in maybe the middle of that range if there is a range.

So finally was able to put together the pieces and seems to work now. Have not tested it yet for leaks or anything, but after some cutting pieces got them to fit. I went with your suggestion and added that second 45 to the extension and it worked. Just need to connect my dishwasher hose to disposable and install air gap. I am attaching a pic of how it looks now. Let me know if all is well or I need to change anything.

20200206_170217.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I am attaching a pic of how it looks now. Let me know if all is well or I need to change anything.
Looks good to me.

Remember to remove the plug when you feed the air gap into the disposal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks