Need help with installing laundry sink plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

cliffalb

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm trying to install a sink in our laundry room. So far I was told by an "expert" @ Lowes that I don't need a separate vent for the sink. I attached a photo of the current plumbing. I want to add the sink 16" to the right of the 3"main drainage. Looks like a 1 1/2" vent pipe is intalled next to the washer drain before going to the main drain. Can I use a double san like the pic I attached 3" main with 2" sides? Any advise would be appreciated.

20160423_172122.jpg
20160424_095415.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
My guess is there are other things draining into the three inch pipe from above. If that is the case you can not use it as a vent. You might have to do some more exploring.

Reaction score
My guess is there are other things draining into the three inch pipe from above. If that is the case you can not use it as a vent. You might have to do some more exploring.
Why not? That's probably the main vent stack going straight to the roof.

The homeowner will need to verify and provide more info.

cliffalb

Reaction score
If it is the being used as drainage from the second floor, what is the alternative? Since it's on the main floor and sharing a wall with the garage, can I just add a vent pipe that will go through the garage wall and out to the side of the house instead of the roof?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The sink will need it's own vent. It can be an AAV in Washington.
Since the 3" is a waste stack from the floor above, it can't double as a vent in Washington.
Depending on the height you need for the sink, you may be able to cut in a single santee above the other one. If not, then the double santee.
You will be able to glue the bottom of the fitting, and either use a shielded coupling for plastic to plastic, or an ABS slip coupling and be very quick about it.
That only works if you have some movement of the pipe from above. If it's fairly solid, then the shielded coupling would be easier.

mission_bandseal.jpg

Last edited:

cliffalb

Reaction score
The sink will need it's own vent. It can be an AAV in Washington.
Since the 3" is a waste stack from the floor above, it can't double as a vent in Washington.
Depending on the height you need for the sink, you may be able to cut in a single santee above the other one. If not, then the double santee.
You will be able to glue the bottom of the fitting, and either use a shielded coupling for plastic to plastic, or an ABS slip coupling and be very quick about it. That only works if you have some movement of the pipe from above. If it's fairly solid, then the shielded coupling would be easier.
Thank you... I'll get an AAV...is it easy to install?

cliffalb

Reaction score
Thank you!!! Now just have to wait on the wife to decide which sink she wants so I can figure out the height for the drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks