Need Help Diagnosing Laundry Faucet Valve Repair Needed

Users who are viewing this thread

John2510

Reaction score
My laundry tub faucet has started leaking at the valve on the cold side. Fortunately, the leak only occurs when the valve is open.

Here's a video I shot:

It started when I began using a portable reverse osmosis filter attached onto the faucet. I figure the resistance caused the leak, or at least made it worse.

Normally, I'd shut off the supply and remove the valve, but there's no shutoff for this other than the main shutoff for the house. So, if I break it on removal, I'm without water until I get it fixed.

My question is whether this looks like a fairly straightforward valve that I can pick up at any hardware store, or whether finding a replacement is likely to be a problem. I'm hoping not to have to replace the entire faucet assembly.

I note that there's a screw at the end of the valve handle, but it wasn't loose. Will I be able to remove the valve using that screw, or will I have to wrench it where it attaches at the manifold?

Reach4

Reaction score
What you probably want to do is add some packing cord. Look that up to find descriptions or videos.

Both the white PTFE and black graphite type are good. I like the white. I am not a plumber.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is a simple repair IF you do it correctly. There is NO WAY you will find another valve like that or parts for it, so just "repack" the stem to stop the leak.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks