Mystery pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by DIYorBust, Jun 10, 2021.

1. DIYorBust

DIYorBust Active Member

A cast iron pipe, looking to be 2 inches, runs to a remote area of the yard in my 1920s home. The pipe is about 6 inches below grade, as far as I can tell it doesn't carry any waste from the house at this time, but where it runs under a driveway and patio near the house I was unable to trace it to it's origin. Any guesses what this might have been about? I suspected there may have been an old cesspool there, but I see no evidence of that currently. It is near a garage/barn structure.

2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    Could it connect to the gutters?

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. DIYorBust

DIYorBust Active Member

Interesting thought. Would something like that have been used for storm water in the past? We're not on any kind of sewer system here, but maybe it was for a drywell? The current gutter discharge into the yard with no sort of catch basin or detention system. We are on a slop, so the dishcharge generally runs away from the structure.