Mystery of the Day: Bad Washer or Missing a Part on This Fixture ?

Users who are viewing this thread

diwhat

Reaction score
This the faucet and stem from an 8 inch spread three hole bathroom sink.

Problem: When either the hot or cold water handles are turned on, water drips out the bottom of the spout shank (underneath the sink) and very little or no water at all actually comes out the spout itself.

As you can see in the pictures both the hot and cold water feed into a T-connector on the spout shank

Question: From looking at the pictures, can anyone tell me if the problem is caused by either (a) one of the two black rubber washers having gone bad; or (b) a missing part on the bottom of the spout shank below the nut. In other words: are all the parts there?

I have included pictures of the faucet assembly dis-assembled to show the washers and bottom nut

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20160911_151347_301.jpg
    IMG_20160911_151347_301.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_20160911_151629_003.jpg
    IMG_20160911_151629_003.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_20160911_151356_735.jpg
    IMG_20160911_151356_735.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Have you checked the faucet aerator? Remove the aerator and you may find debris piled up inside of it.

diwhat

Reaction score
Have you checked the faucet aerator? Remove the aerator and you may find debris piled up inside of it.

Hi - thanks for the idea. I removed the aerator. After doing so, some water makes its way through the spout, but most of the water still leaks through the bottom of the spout shank (some water also now comes up through the top of the spout where the handle for the drain plug is)

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Looks like you have hard water and there maybe some kind of valve or moving part inside the spout stem stuck, but I doubt it. But to be for sure soak the whole piece in bowl of CLR.

diwhat

Reaction score
This the faucet and stem from an 8 inch spread three hole bathroom sink.

Problem: When either the hot or cold water handles are turned on, water drips out the bottom of the spout shank (underneath the sink) and very little or no water at all actually comes out the spout itself.

As you can see in the pictures both the hot and cold water feed into a T-connector on the spout shank

Question: From looking at the pictures, can anyone tell me if the problem is caused by either (a) one of the two black rubber washers having gone bad; or (b) a missing part on the bottom of the spout shank below the nut. In other words: are all the parts there?

I have included pictures of the faucet assembly dis-assembled to show the washers and bottom nut

Thank you in advance.

Just reporting back.
Turns out it is a Glacier Bay unit and calling the customer service number yielded a free replacement part being sent out. In the interest of expediency and working plumbing, I intend to replace it with the new unit ASAP and chuck the old one without further investigation. So the true cause may never be known.
thanks for all the suggestions

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks