Moving Kitchen in condo: connecting to bathroom intake/waste piping?

Users who are viewing this thread

Erik1776

Reaction score
Hi everyone, we have a weird condo set up and are considering a pretty drastic change that could resolve almost all our challenges with our current place and allow us not to move.

Here is the question: What needs to be considered when trying to connect kitchen items to a condo bathroom stack (water intake and waste piping)? Items would include: kitchen sink, fridge (water line), dishwasher, (+ optional item: a wall mounted toilet).
Is there ANY possibility to do this or is it impossible/forbidden? Local area is following 2012 international building code. I understand the HOA also needs to provide approval but looking to see if it is even allowed in the first place or even possible, and if so, what needs to be considered.

Here is the set up:
1985 building in the Midwest. It is an odd layout, with 2-stories "townhouses" units stacked on top of each other (1 bottom unit covering 2 floors, 1 top units covering 2 floors) with an underground garage.
Concrete floors/ceilings.
Plumbing for the (downstairs) kitchen and (upstairs) bathrooms seems to be separate. Bathroom stack is shared with upstairs unit and is located in the dining room, exactly where we are looking to move the kitchen. Sink/dishwasher/fridge would be in a row, starting right next to this stack.
Unit is a ground floor one with the garage underneath. Water pipes and shut off are visible and accessible on the garage ceiling right below the unit.
Plumbing seems to be separated between bathroom and kitchen with a shut offs/waste pipes for the 2 units bathrooms (4 in total) , and another one for the the kitchen(s). Currently getting original blueprints to better understand the system.

Reach4

Reaction score
Bathrooms are usually wet vented. Non-bathrooms are not wet-vented.

So if you can join your new vented kitchen stuff into the 3 or 4 inch pipe downstream of the bathroom stuff, you are probably good regarding not messing up the bathroom venting.

IPC (DuPage) allows AAVs for venting.

Erik1776

Reaction score
Thanks! Do you foresee any potential issues around maxing out the number of fixtures on the existing stack? As it is, I am guessing it is used by 2 sinks, 1 tub, 2 toilets in my unit and probably the same in the upstairs unit. It is a condo building, so muti family residential building code would apply I am assuming.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks