Moving everything over in bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

meadow

Reaction score
i want to squeeze my bath, toilet, & sink (all on the same wall) all toward the door a bit and size down in scale. i want this so that the shower/bath is no longer right underneath the slope of the roof/attic and a tiled shelf is there instead to make shampoo storage convenient. i don't like dunking head over to wash hair so seemed like a good way to keep the full bath (get a three wall alcove tub and push it away from the slope hitting my head = toilet and sink should be moved over too). how much $ would u guess an estimate might be? i'm in minnesota. ty.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just to enlarge on HJ's comment. There are several factors to be considered, but let me deal with the $$ first. It is impossible to even give a ballpark figure on this. The time needed to do the work will depend on too many variables to guess, but I can almost promise it will be expensive. There is a old saying on jobs like this. "Nothing is impossible if your pockets are deep enough." The other factors include code requirements and materials. The best thing for you to do is to get at least three estimates from local contractors. Make sure the estimates are all for the exact work to be done. Then, don't necessarily pick the cheapest one. The estimates should be very similar, but sometimes there can be one that is very high. This might indicate this company really doesn't want the job. Another might be very low. This could mean this company cuts corners on quality. When you agree on a company, be sure to get in writing the time frame for completing the job and don't pay in advance. Check their references.

meadow

Reaction score
Damn. I had a feeling I might hear something like that. Thanks for your replies! I'll have to figure out a new way to get my head away from that ceiling slope when showering. Maybe a wider tub that comes closer to the toilet. Then I can just stand more to the right, inside the tube. Maybe put a small divider wall of glass block up on the tub so I can kiddie-corner the shower nozzle somehow. Thanks again!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Another gotcha could be that when you move things around like that, you have to bring the pieces you've changed up to code, so it may not always be able to be done in the same way, depending on the age of the building. This can get complicated. The other thing that might hit you up is the code requirement about clearance around a toilet...code requires 15" either side of the centerline of toilet to any obstruction, so, for example, it might not be possible to just install a wider tub without impacting that required clearance space.

How the joists run, where the drain line is along with whether you have easy access from below can all play a major part of the ease and therefore costs to move things around. Code limits where and how big of a hole(s) you can make in joists, and since it sounds like part of this is near an outside wall, there are limits on how close to the end of the joist you can put any holes.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Another gotcha could be that when you move things around like that, you have to bring the pieces you've changed up to code, so it may not always be able to be done in the same way, depending on the age of the building. This can get complicated. The other thing that might hit you up is the code requirement about clearance around a toilet...code requires 15" either side of the centerline of toilet to any obstruction, so, for example, it might not be possible to just install a wider tub without impacting that required clearance space.

How the joists run, where the drain line is along with whether you have easy access from below can all play a major part of the ease and therefore costs to move things around. Code limits where and how big of a hole(s) you can make in joists, and since it sounds like part of this is near an outside wall, there are limits on how close to the end of the joist you can put any holes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks