Move Shower Vent

Users who are viewing this thread

centurion

Reaction score
I am installing a larger shower pan in my shower. I went to move a partition wall and found that it had the shower vent in it. Is it proper and legal if I cap the existing vent and replace the 90 just after the P trap and extend the vent to the other wall. Kind of hard to describe but I think the attached picture will be clear. Thanks!
Publication1.jpg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Kinda, but not really. Definitely not proper. Borderline legal, but really not.

Check with your local inspector.

Use a wye and make plans to have to clean out the vent if your inspector let's you get away with it.

Your drain should actually be where you have "90 to new vent" drawn. Then you could use a tee. The up being the vent and the down being the drain. Basically what they already have except flipped to where you have it drawn.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm assuming the shower is still draining to the right. Then putting the vent on the left would definitely not be allowed. That would be a flat dry vent takeoff.

Can you put the vent in the wall at the top of the picture? If so, you could probably get there by moving the existing vent takeoff several inches to the left (because of that triple stud) and then rolling the vent takeoff 45 degrees towards the wall. You might need to move the LT90 closer to the wall to get the vent into the wall before it could through the subfloor, then you'd have to jog back with a couple 22.5s (ideally) or 45s to line up with the existing fixture drain on the right.

Cheers, Wayne

centurion

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Yeah, I did not think that was right. Wayne, thanks for the suggestion, however that is an outside wall with a joist and not much room to work. I will have to think about it. Thanks for your help.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can extend the line to the wall, vent it there, then 45 or 90 back to your shower drain location.
Yikes! 2x8 floor joists don't give you much to work with.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Yeah, I did not think that was right. Wayne, thanks for the suggestion, however that is an outside wall with a joist and not much room to work. I will have to think about it. Thanks for your help.
Can you join the drain from the lavatory with that shower trap output? That can make a wet vent, and it is the most common way to vent a shower.

Rich45

Reaction score
What if you changed the "T" like you suggested, but instead rotate it 90 degrees, and go to the exterior wall immediately behind it? Can't tell if there is a joist in the way or not.

EDIT:

I just realized Wayne suggested the same thing. Hope it works out!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks