Moen Cartridge Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

carnbarn

Reaction score
We have installed a new shower in our home. We have no hot water at all coming out of the shower, only cold. We have hot water going to our sinks and have checked the lines going to the shower.

We stripped the faucet down to the turn valve so that the valve now spins 360 degrees. We have tried to remove the cartridge by hand (removing the copper U clip, etc.) but it won't budge.

Do you think that it is a problem with the cartridge? And if so, must we rent a special tool to remove the cartridge?

Thanks for any help!

Carnbarn

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I just installed two Moen valves like you described and had the same problem getting the stems out. I called Moen customer service, who said they should "just pull out", but like you, I found they wouldn't budge. I mad a simple puller our of a short piece of steel channel and some screws and nuts, and they pulled right out. I then flushed the new plumbing, put things back together, and only had one kind of water (hot or cold, I don't remember which). Checked and found I had installed the stem 180 degrees off. Moen's pictorial directions (designed so that no matter what language you speak or read, you won't be able to figure out the instructions) do in fact show the proper orientation of the stem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks