minimum wall clearance for freestanding or clawfoot tub

Users who are viewing this thread

new_bug

Reaction score
I would like to put a 60" freestanding or acrylic clawfoot tub in a 64" tiled "alcove" space. we came in after tile work was done with plumbing roughed in for a right hand drain tub (freestanding of some sort) with wall filler.

I have looked around at a bunch of old cast iron clawfoot tub installations, and the closest I have found is 1.5" from a stub (candle holder & faucet) wall, with most 3-4" on one end and 4-8-12" or more on the other wall. 4" seemed common from the back wall.

The area is tiled, including obscured vinyl window/sill at 40 inches. The plan would be wall mount filler on one end, bar mount hand shower, and old style oval shower curtain rod.

the next size down is a 54"-56" tub which feels like a much smaller tub, more expensive, and less options. not looking for suggestions of tubs to look at. we won't be going that route.

alternatively we would be installing a 60" americast alcove tub, a 4" end shelf/wall, and dealing with the window/sill rot issues when they came eventually.

not saying that the window & current tile job are bad, (sloped tiled window sill, waterproofing membrane, concrete backer board, I believe epoxy based grout).. but eventually this would be an area where I would expect rot with an alcove tub. moving the window up isn't possible (roof overhang) and glass block window or new siding (no window) are currently too costly for the result which is not as "nice"...

I believe a freestanding tub makes sense with the current window, and would be less likely to see eventual window sill or wall damage.

any thoughts about cleaning/access with only 2" clearance between the top rim of a freestanding tub & side wall? any standards I should be aware of? i have requested product literature on a few 60" freestanding tubs. but so far I haven't seen anything concrete.

with pedistal sinks i know the standard is 4" min side clearance. but with a rounded freestanding tub, i am not sure if this will be so critical, as dropped items retrieval & cleaning could still be accomplished in the back corners and from the front.

Thank you for any advice or help.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't know of any code issues about clearance to the walls (there could be), but the only issue I can think of would be the ability to clean the area there.

Stuff

Reaction score
Recommendation is 4" for cleaning ability. Some places say it is in IRC but I haven't found it.

Last edited:

new_bug

Reaction score
I guess I could turn the studs sideways on both sides and re-do a bunch of tile on the side walls and back corners. worth the trouble?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Not really. Just install the tub, ideally with the same distance on both ends and the back, but you have to work with the drain dimension you have. THAT will determine where the tub goes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks