Mansfield tank question

Users who are viewing this thread

Brian Budde

Reaction score
This might be a stupid question but Google sent me here. Are all 3 bolt Mansfield tanks interchangeable between models? I have a 1974 5s-7s toilet in the basement with the bowl cemented to the floor. I don't know why, but it is. The tank is cracked so I need to find a new tank. I am handy enough to do that but probably not enough to tackle the cemented bowl. I asked at cheap toilet tank lids and they didn't know if other tanks will fit this one. Any thoughts?

Reach4

Reaction score
Assuming you are not into antique or decorative value, flattening down that bit of concrete will probably not be as hard as you expect. The newer toilets flush better, despite using less water.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The only place to get a 70's tank would be something second hand. Most of the time we're pulling them and dumping them the same week. The last thing we want hanging around is something the original homeowner wanted out of his house.
Your best bet will be protective gear, for eyes hands and face. Sometimes you have to break them out. Sorry.

Peterson

Reaction score
Yes, the new 1.6 tanks have the same 3 bolt pattern and spacing as the older 3.5 gpf toilets. I have seen people use a newer tank on an older bowl if their Mansfield tank broke. You could get a new tank, and buy an older styled Mansfield 210 flush tower at Lowes or Home Depot and take out the 1.6 flush tower that comes in the tank.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Yes, the new 1.6 tanks have the same 3 bolt pattern and spacing as the older 3.5 gpf toilets.

A 70's Mansfield is not a 3.5 gallon flush. More like five to seven gallons. You would be hard pressed to make a new tank dump enough water to cycle the 70's bowl.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks