Major water sediment problem: any idea what these black flakes are?

Users who are viewing this thread

Temp945

Reaction score
A flurry of posts today...but this one is by far the most important!

So today I installed a water pressure relief tank. I did not have one before and kept the water heater temperature at 120F. I just increased it to 140F after installing the pressure relief tank.

After the hybrid heater (GE Geospring) heat pump ran for a while, I removed the filter from a faucet and ran the hot water to purge any pollution resulting from today's work.

The attached photo is what is coming out when I run the hot water! YIKES!!! I have run about 10 gallons of water through and the situation does not appear to be improving.

The black pollution appear to be flakes, not round or rockish. When I touch them, they smear (first photo of finger). I can clean the smear off my finger with a paper towel, but it actually leaves a stain that is resistant to being cleaned off (second photo of finger). There is no smell. In addition to the flakes, the water is turned grey.

A few bits of info which may help:

1) The cold water does not have any pollution.
2) The water heater is about 5 years old.
3) The water lines are all new PEX, except for about 10 feet to and from the water heater that go into a concrete slab. Those lines are 1960s galvanized steel.
4) I drained the water heater about 1.5 years ago and did not notice any black flakes come out of it. However, the drainage was very slow and I assumed that there was a clog in the small factory drain spout.
5) About a year ago the city was doing some work to the neighborhood water system and one time I noticed a large amount of blackish water come out of the bathtub spout. I assumed this was a one-time issue with the water supply, but it seems that the pollution may have been on my side of the meter and the city work may have fooled me.
6) I have never had the water temperature higher than 120F since I installed the water heater, until today (set at 140F but it is still running so the temperature is lower than that).
7) I always run the water heater in "heat pump" mode which means that the electric elements never energize; all the water is heated with the heat pump only.

I really appreciate any help! My hot water is unusable for now :(

Attachments

• IMG_2705_(Medium).jpeg
    IMG_2705_(Medium).jpeg
    66.9 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_2706_(Medium).jpeg
    IMG_2706_(Medium).jpeg
    30.9 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_2707_(Medium).jpeg
    IMG_2707_(Medium).jpeg
    31.2 KB · Views: 179

Reach4

Reaction score
Does your WH have braided flex supply lines?

How about the bathtub?

Temp945

Reaction score
I do have braided flex supply lines on the water heater. They are the same age as the water heater - about 5 years old.

The bathtub is gone - replaced several months ago with a shower when I remodeled the bathroom.

Temp945

Reaction score
Thanks Reach - so it is either the heat trap nipples or the braided water heater hoses.

My guess is the heat trap nipples. One other thing I noticed is that when I am flushing the hot water, I get some spurting. My guess is that this is the disintegrating rubber inside the nipples.

It looks like I will be replacing both the water hoses and the heat trap nipples immediately!

Temp945

Reaction score
I remembered that I actually have a spare braided hose on hand so I quickly swapped out the hot line for the unused but identical braided hose. The black flakes immediately disappeared. Phew!

Wow - those braided hoses are garbage! I can't believe they manufacture them and the home stores sell them! I will be removing them and replacing with the corrugated copper lines I purchased ASAP.

I also had a look inside of the water heater's hot nipple with a flashlight. I can't tell if it has a heat trap nipple or not. There is no rubber gasket at the top of it and I can see through a couple inches with no sign of a rubber gasket. Is there any way to distinguish a heat trap nipple from a dielectric nipple?

After doing some reading it sounds like I do not need a heat trap nipple because my hot line goes down (into the slab), not up.

Reach4

Reaction score
Wow - those braided hoses are garbage! I can't believe they manufacture them and the home stores sell them! I will be removing them and replacing with the corrugated copper lines I purchased ASAP.
I am thinking that some braided lines are probably good, but how would you know which is which?

Apparently not all corrugated lines are good also: https://terrylove.com/forums/index....ater-corrugated-connection-kit-leaking.92297/

Seeking out Falcon Mega-flow may be worthwhile.

More: https://terrylove.com/forums/index....ater-corrugated-connection-kit-leaking.92297/

Last edited:

Temp945

Reaction score
I agree completely, Reach. In my view the problem is that although *some* Chinese products are OK, others are junk and it is often difficult or impossible to distinguish between them. What's worse is that Chinese manufacturers often don't keep production *consistent* so an item that is OK one year is junk the next.

I purchased Sioux Chief corrugated copper lines:
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Sioux-C...rugated-Hose-Water-Heater-Connector-24-Length
Made in USA - hopefully an indicator that they were built with good raw material and made to last.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks