Main Stack as vent for tub and shower drain

Users who are viewing this thread

mule169

Reaction score
Been lurking here for awhile,

I'm going through a remodel and I had a question. May seem basic to most, but just wanting to validate my assumptions. I have both a shower and a tub drain that are located very close to my main 4" stack (within 2 feet).

I'm wondering if I can connect the drains for both into the main stack without an extra vent line. I.E. Can the main stack act as the vent for these two drains.

They are the top 2 most fixtures in the stack, and no other drains will ever be tyed in above them. If I connected them in this fashion one would technically be "wet vented" as they would be connected one above the other?:
IMG_20170308_132258.jpg

I was also thinking of using like a 4x4x2x2 double wye to eliminate the "wet venting" concern:
6263179-200px.jpg

Thanks for any feedback in advance.

Cheers,

Andy

Stuff

Reaction score
If there is nothing above then it is a true vent. Make sure nothing below is relying on this as a vent. You can not use a wye but need a san-tee so as not to siphon your traps. Yes, one over the other is an acceptable wet vent.

Last edited:

mule169

Reaction score
Terry, Stuff,

Thanks for the responses. The floor below is an unfinished basement with no fixtures using the main stack as a vent. I'll install a clothes washer drain in the basement, and I'll ultimately refinish and put a bathroom in the basement, but any fixtures downstairs will have separate vents that will tye into the main stack up in the attic that I'll run through the walls.

The reason I'm asking about this configuration is really just because of cramped space with tub/shower drains being so close to the main stack, and hoping I didn't have to figure out how to cram in dedicated vent pipes for each drain right before they tye into the main stack.

Completely understood that no downstream fixtures could use the main stack as a vent in this config.

I'm fortunate in that, there are 2 other spots in the basement that tye into the main drain/sewer. The kitchen has it's own tye in for a drain (and dedicated vent) as well as one drain entry/cleanout right before the main drain pipe exits the house.

Stuff, thanks for the reminder about san-tee vs wye. It's like remembering port/left, starboard/right for the newb sailor :) I'll make sure to triple check my work before I install.

Cheers,

Andy

Stuff

Reaction score
Very strange that a 4" stack has nothing connected to it. No toilets in the house?

mule169

Reaction score
Hey Stuff,

So there is stuff that will drain into the stack, but none of those fixtures will be using the main stack as their primary vent. 30 second diagram from top view of bathroom and side view of basement under bathroom here:
IMG_20170309_090846.jpg

IMG_20170309_091111.jpg

Before the remodel the toilet was over where the tub/shower will be so the toilet did tye directly into the main stack. As it stands now, I'll be venting the toilet, and vanity sink up through the wall and tying them back into the main stack up in the attic.

-Andy

Stuff

Reaction score
Pictures explain things better. You will need some space in the basement to tie all this together.

Look at Terry's picture of the toilet being wet vented by sink. You usually need to do that to prevent having a horizontal dry vent for the toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks