Lowest floor in 5 story bldg, backing up in kitchen sink from Main clog

Users who are viewing this thread

Jocelyn Canfield

Reaction score
I own several units in a condo, circa 1977, with mostly original iron pipes. The calcium build up is a huge problem. When there are clogs in the constricted main lines, my ground floor unit gets water in the kitchen sink which then overflows. This raises multiple questions.
1) I have seen reference to the "spin and grin" type of sink stopper. This water backs up with pressure and I'm wondering if a sink stopper would even hold? and
2) If I try to prevent the sink from overflowing, will the black slimy water get forced into my brand new dishwasher?
3) What is the best way to clear the calcium build up from these lines? We had a guy who used what he called a "calcium bit" on a snake which was supposed to break it up. Would calcisolve (or some other product) work? or is there another good solvent that could be used in the entire building? Or will it all just run out since there is not a complete blockage? Is there a way to create a blockage in each of the stacks and systematically fill with calcisolve?
Really appreciate ideas here. Tearing my hair out over the backups, causing damage to everything.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks