Kitchen remodel, new sink backs up & drains very slow

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
When did they go to long sweeps there? I've been doing service and quit doing new work like I used to do.
I normally use long sweeps Terry been using pretty much my whole career... but say on a pedestal lav can't use a LS. I just did a master bath remodel wanted my under cabinet to be real clean so used medium sweeps. I'm not real sure if mediums are legal but was taught long sweeps and unless I have reason I stick to that . gotta say the long sweeps dont look as good and can stick out a bit far for lavs . I do see a lot of medium sweeps and don't take issue with it suppose I should look it up.
Clean Fix Randall!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can't believe I did that. I actually had the correct one but in my haste installed the regular 90. How much of a problem might this create? I can replace it easy enough but probably won't have a chance to get to it until spring time.
It will reduce the efficiency of that drain a bit. Not sure how much but if its a kitchen then the trap and trap arm are draining slightly slower and more likely to back up. If its easy enough to fix, then I would.

When did they go to long sweeps there?
It was probably '06-07 when a Seattle inspector told me that. He had some other nonsense too.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe there is a code allowing medium sweeps on their side for drainage or trap arms. I always thought a trap arm had to be of proper sweep whether a lav , a sink shower or whatever we don't use medium sweeps on trap arms for tubs or showers or a w/c? Like I said I don't have a problem on Lavs but wouldn't and don't feel confident on getting card signed I think its sort of a BS call but taking a chance on kitchens personally I always use a long sweep actually a 1/8th bend often because the ptrap isn't that close to wall. 1002.3 referred me to 706.3 in the UPC code. I'm still not sure but I'd like anyone to tell me so I can rest assured and not be concerned with a correction

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't see any allowance in the UPC. In the IPC, a quarter bend is allowed for horizontal to horizontal fixture drains 2" and under.

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think its just done a lot on sink trap arms, not the end of the world to service don't think the issue gets pushed much

Joshuasamuel

Reaction score
Hi,
Indeed, the drain is too high. things will also bring you problems in the future. You may need to completely forget about the disposal after making sure the line is not blocked. Finally, to add more height, locate two shallow basket strainers for the left and right sides. Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks