Lower Kitchen Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Danno M

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

It's a story as old as time. Added a deep sink during kitchen remodel. Now the garbage disposal outlet is slightly below existing drain.

Attached is a picture of the current drain situation (disregard the sink basket drain in the picture, that will be replaced with a garbage disposal). Is there any way I can lower the drain so I can fit a p-trap between the garbage disposal outlet and the drain without having to cut into the wall? I think I only need to lower it a few inches to make it all work.

Thanks again!

IMG_20211110_153743501.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Replace the 90 bend with a santee and come straight out of the wall for the p-trap.
The AAV can still come upward the 4" or more that is needed.

Danno M

Reaction score
My first thought was to cut the 90 at the wall, get rid of the flange, and then attach a wye on the remaining stub of pipe coming out of the wall. Reattach the air vent to the top of the wye and then put a p-trap between the remaining branch of the wye and the garbage disposal outlet. Too easy?

If I have to cut into the wall, I think I will need to summon professional help at that point.

Danno M

Reaction score
Replace the 90 bend with a santee and come straight out of the wall for the p-trap.
The AAV can still come upward the 4" or more that is needed.
That was my first thought too, great minds think alike! But I read somewhere that you can't put a sanitary tee on its back??

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
For an AAV nobody is going to care. I see it all the time for that.
the santee on back for that I don't think is an issue on IPC code anyway kind of a minor thing exposed like that UPC as well a wye might be better or combi but not much of an issue.
I think danno can cut that off right at the hub discard the escutcheon and perhaps put a split flange with a little trimming with tin snips or many houses don't use escutions on waste line stubouts anyway

Danno M

Reaction score
the santee on back for that I don't think is an issue on IPC code anyway kind of a minor thing exposed like that UPC as well a wye might be better or combi but not much of an issue.
I think danno can cut that off right at the hub discard the escutcheon and perhaps put a split flange with a little trimming with tin snips or many houses don't use escutions on waste line stubouts anyway
Much appreciated!

Danno M

Reaction score
Awesome thanks!!
Here's the finished product. Thanks again!

IMG_20211111_221651838~2.jpg
IMG_20211111_221738487.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks