Lochinvar high limit manual reset - keeps locking out

Users who are viewing this thread

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
There is no residual loss of R-value after it dries, but it's performance can drop to about half to two-thirds of it's dry value when wet. Assuming a dry value of R5.7/inch x 2.75"= R15.7 the wettest pieces are still delivering at least R8 or better. IRC 2009 code-min for basements was continuous R1o, so even when pretty wet it'll be close to that (and still cheaper than new R8-R10 rigid insulation.) But when it dries it will spring back to north R15.5.

An uninsulated foundation wall runs R1-R2 on it's own, so the first R5 does a lot more for performance (cutting heat lossed by 2/3) than the next R5, (cutting that remaining third by less than half) or the third R5 that brings the losses to under 1/10 of the original heat loss. So even before it's fully dried it's doing a lot.

Dwassner

Reaction score
OK. What would you suggest I use for an adhesive between the pieces of foam if any? Or should I just tape the joints, and if tape is all that is needed, would I want to tape only on the side facing the room? I was going to use cheap construction adhesive to adhere them to the wall while I apply the wood strips.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Housewrap tape on the room-side facer usually works fine for air-sealing it. If it doesn't seem sticky enough that it might peel off, paint/trowel over the tape with 1/8" of fiber reinforced duct mastic, or if you're using furring instead of studwalls, put vertical furring over those seams after taping. If there are any big dings/gouges where the sheets come together, fill it with can foam and trim flush after it sets.

DON'T use standard construction adhesive to mount the foam to the wall- the solvents used in construction adhesive will dissolve/degrade polyiso, and it gets through fiber facers! Use only specially formulated foam-board construction adhesives such as LOCTITE PL300 (available at most box stores), or DAP DynaGrip Foamboard, Liquid Nails LN-604 Projects & Foamboard Adhesive.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks