LED panel lights

Users who are viewing this thread

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Installed 12 LED panel lights today and the customer doesn't like the fact that they are still very bright even on full dim. He's ordering a new set of 3000k lights and we'll put the 4000k lights that are installed, elsewhere.

Here's the question: can I just leave the installed transformers in place and plug the replacement fixtures into them (easy), or will I have to swap them out (buttpain).

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks, makes sense to me. I'll check the replacements when they come in next week to be sure. Says on the transformer: Output: DC27-42V 280mA.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Most LEDS cannot be dimmed all the way as incandescents could. The LED bulbs with a filament like stack of LEDs can come pretty close but they are 120v lamps. LED strips or tape lights are either 12v or 24v DC. Most are 12v so they can be used in vehicles, Rv's and boats.

63093-2d2d526df7df6c7ba4d8126d4a5b2408.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Color temperature can make a difference. The 3000K ones will tend to be a little redder, the 4000K ones more towards a stark blue, but still not really all that extreme. In a place like a bathroom where you're trying to do makeup, the 4000K ones might be a bit too much and make you look funky in a mirror.

Reach4

Reaction score
It's actually pretty hard getting the lighting just right for bathrooms, but i went with 3000K since, as you describe, 4000k+ makes the lighting look rather weird.
Higher color temperature tends to wake you up. For a bathroom, it would be nice to have a lower brightness redder light for a nighttime visit, and a higher brightness bluer (higher color temperature) for when you want to wake up or see in more detail.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some of the aftermarket auto headlights are pushing 6000K, and those have a definite blue tint. Depending on what you want to see in the bathroom, higher color temperature bulbs can look artificial. Most people prefer the look of cool white.

TJanak

Reaction score
Higher color temperature tends to wake you up. For a bathroom, it would be nice to have a lower brightness redder light for a nighttime visit, and a higher brightness bluer (higher color temperature) for when you want to wake up or see in more detail.

Yes. We have 4000K lighting in our bathrooms (entire house actually), but installed toe kick lighting on the bathroom cabinets that is on a motion sensor for those nighttime visits. It is 2700K and definitely more pleasing in the middle of the night.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks