LED light - 2 wire to 3 wire LED xfmr connection

Users who are viewing this thread

Snorp

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello again folks,

I really appreciate the time and effort and knowledge that you guys have given me before. Here I am, back again with hat in hand.

I'm remodeling a small bathroom - new fan and two led vanity lights (not enough light output from one light).

Old hookup was using one switch which controlled both the old fan and the old lights - both either on or off. Diagram provided - but really not necessary.

LED lights will be connected in parallel to a dimmer switch - yes the leds are dimmable. The fan will be connected to a simple spst switch.

My ignorance is how to connect the 2 wire + gnd house wiring to the 3 wire + gnd transformers contained within the leds.

Google used to be helpful in finding the answer to my question but since they've been playing games with their search algorithm, I've not been able to find the answer to my question.

Any help and or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Andy

Attachments

• Wiring diag.jpg
    Wiring diag.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 229

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Would need more information. Some LED light fixtures just take line voltage in and a conventional dimmer will work. Some require a dimmer that outputs a variable voltage, sometimes a DC voltage, and sometimes a low-level AC voltage to control the logic in the power supply (it may be a power supply verses a simple transformer), while the device gets line voltage in and adjusts its output to dim the LEDs.

So, in some of them, the dimmer switch both turns on (like a simple SPST) switch the AC power to the device, and another circuit in the dimmer outputs the proper control signal to adjust the device's output that powers and dims the lights. That would give you the three wires: control signal, power and neutral.

Your description doesn't provide enough information to know what is required.

Snorp

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Would need more information. Some LED light fixtures just take line voltage in and a conventional dimmer will work. Some require a dimmer that outputs a variable voltage, sometimes a DC voltage, and sometimes a low-level AC voltage to control the logic in the power supply (it may be a power supply verses a simple transformer), while the device gets line voltage in and adjusts its output to dim the LEDs.

So, in some of them, the dimmer switch both turns on (like a simple SPST) switch the AC power to the device, and another circuit in the dimmer outputs the proper control signal to adjust the device's output that powers and dims the lights. That would give you the three wires: control signal, power and neutral.

Your description doesn't provide enough information to know what is required.

Thank you Jadnashua,

Light manufacturer states that a 'wide variety' of dimmer switches can be used. I bought a designer type which they say is compatible with several lighting types. Please note that this is a vanity light and isn't anything like a string of led lights. The transformer is integral to the light. No real installation info was provided. However, after watching a few Youtube videos on led light installations (none were directly comparable to my situation) I believe the answer is to just connect all three ground wires - including the green one from the transformer - and that's about it. Other connections would just be blk to blk and wht to wht. Sounds right?

I am attaching a photo of the insides of the light.

Thanks again Jadnashua

Andy

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the wiring diagram to the light fixture shows 120vac L and N going in, along with a safety ground, you'd treat it like it were a conventional incandescent fixture. Note, some dimmers need neutral to work properly, and some won't like the load of an LED fixture.

Reach4

Reaction score
Old hookup was using one switch which controlled both the old fan and the old lights - both either on or off. Diagram provided - but really not necessary.
Let's review what you intend. When you flip the toggle switch off, what should happen?

Snorp

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Okay Mr. Reach4, and thanks for your interest and help.

One spst switch to handle the fan, and one dimmer switch for the lights.

Problem?

Thanks again,

Regards

Reach4

Reaction score
Okay Mr. Reach4, and thanks for your interest and help.

One spst switch to handle the fan, and one dimmer switch for the lights.

Problem?
This sounds like the switch only turns the fan on and off, and only the dimmer turns the the lights on or off. If this is the case, you will run the hot to the switch and the dimmer both. The other terminal of the switch will go to the fan.

The dimmer will supply power to the transformer for the LEDs. Right?

However your diagram seems to imply more interaction between fan and light.

What is the rectangle with no label (to the left of the LGTS rectangle) intended to represent?

Snorp

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Yes, the dimmer will supply power to the transformer for the LEDs.

The diagram included with my post was of the wiring for the room before I started ripping everything up. I certainly didn't make that clear.

I'm uploading the diagram for the new connections. I haven't shown all of the connections to/from the dimmer switch.

Sorry for the confusion.

Andy
final diag.jpg
final diag.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks