Leaking Shower Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Robert Shanbaum

Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone has seen the kind of shower drain fitting shown in the photo. It's leaking at the very top (where you can see the gasket broken and out of place). I would have expected the fitting to rotate, but it appears to be cemented to the pipe. I'm thinking that the trap & all may have to be replaced - although it might be possible to splice in a replacement pipe, if that's acceptable. The trap & rest of the drain looks fine...

Shower Drain.jpg

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
It won't be too difficult for you to figure out what you have, once you cut the pipe and unscrew the top part (from the shower side).
You will need a new shower drain flange, which you can fit in rather easily.
Youtube has some good educational videos on how to install a new flange and what you need to have before you start.

Robert Shanbaum

Reaction score
It won't be too difficult for you to figure out what you have, once you cut the pipe and unscrew the top part (from the shower side).
You will need a new shower drain flange, which you can fit in rather easily.
Good educational videos on how to install a new flange and what you need to have before you start.

Thanks very much for that; I wasn't sure if trying to work from the top was a reasonable place to start. I thought it might be. I was thinking it might be possible to unscrew the top part, slip in a new gasket from below, and reassemble...

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Thanks very much for that; I wasn't sure if trying to work from the top was a reasonable place to start. I thought it might be. I was thinking it might be possible to unscrew the top part, slip in a new gasket from below, and reassemble...

If you can unscrew the top, then yes, that would be the easiest way.
If it doesn't, then replacement is the next option.

If you replace the drain, you might be able to use a glued coupling, or a shielded coupling there. Sometimes I do wind up replacing a p-trap.
I have been using Silicone lately instead of putty there for the flange fitting.

Robert Shanbaum

Reaction score
If you can unscrew the top, then yes, that would be the easiest way.
If it doesn't, then replacement is the next option.

If you replace the drain, you might be able to use a glued coupling, or a shielded coupling there. Sometimes I do wind up replacing a p-trap.
I have been using Silicone lately instead of putty there for the flange fitting.

Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks