Laundry Sink Install

Users who are viewing this thread

Miketv84

Reaction score
Hi, I currently have a washer setup that drains into a 2in standpipe. I would like to add a laundry sink and have the washer hose drain into that so I can add a lint sock. I'm having a little trouble figuring out all of the different connection sizes. For the hot and cold supply lines, is there no way to run a splitter off of the valve that supplies the washer? I know the washer valve size is 3/4 in and faucet supply lines are 3/8 to 1/2inch. Would I need to leave that alone and just install a T fitting into the hot and cold lines ? I did see they sell a dishwasher line that is 3/8 on one end and can go to 3/4 on the other side.
Second part of my dilemma is the drainage. So the current standpipe is copper. Do I cut it, add a rubber coupling and attach PVC ? If so what type of reducers would I need since drain p trap lines are 1 1/2 or 1 1/4. Hope that makes sense. I attached some pictures to help.

Attachments

• 20210215_162321.jpg
    20210215_162321.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 240
  • 20210215_162326.jpg
    20210215_162326.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 265

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can also add a laundry sink off of the 2" standpipe for the washer.

The 2" copper DWV can be coupled to with a shielded coupling and a santee added for the sink drain.

index.php

proflex-3001-22.jpg

You have 1/2" copper supplying the hot and cold. They make tees for that.

Miketv84

Reaction score
You can also add a laundry sink off of the 2" standpipe for the washer.

The 2" copper DWV can be coupled to with a shielded coupling and a santee added for the sink drain.

index.php

proflex-3001-22.jpg

You have 1/2" copper supplying the hot and cold. They make tees for that.

Thank you. I have 5/8 water lines. I found a Y fitting off of the washer valve, is that acceptable ?

How would I reduce the 2inch size drain line into what feeds the sink drain ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210215-171925_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210215-171925_Chrome.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 281

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thank you. I have 5/8 water lines. I found a Y fitting off of the washer valve, is that acceptable ?

Its all pretty much available parts < Im sure a real plumber would do things a little differantly but readily available fittings are at a good supplier to build a safe sink hook up without all the soldering etc. The hose wye would work I suposse you could run w/m hose under sink to a 1/2 fipx 3/4 male hose thread a little hokey but just as reliable as a washing machine. probebly 100 other ways to macgiver it too. I wouldnt do it like that mainly for cosmetic reasons

Miketv84

Reaction score
Its all pretty much available parts < Im sure a real plumber would do things a little differantly but readily available fittings are at a good supplier to build a safe sink hook up without all the soldering etc. The hose wye would work I suposse you could run w/m hose under sink to a 1/2 fipx 3/4 male hose thread a little hokey but just as reliable as a washing machine. probebly 100 other ways to macgiver it too. I wouldnt do it like that mainly for cosmetic reasons

Miketv84

Reaction score
Yeah I guess the better approach is to install T fittings into the hot and cold lines and then screw in a valve for a 1/2 inch supply line. I'll think about that.

But still confused how to connect the drain line to the main. I like the idea of keep the existing trap and run a T off of the standpipe. But do they sell a T fitting that would work for what I need it for ? Smaller diameter for the drain line ?

Miketv84

Reaction score

A picture of exactly what I was thinking except what type of T that would be circled.

Attachments

• 20210215_180203.jpg
    20210215_180203.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 368

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
that works ... note notice the sink will not have its own trap . you could have used a santee but in this case a wye and 1/8th bend is fine

GReynolds929

Reaction score

As previously stated you have 1/2" copper water lines.

PlumbNuts

SC Licensed Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
riverviewplumbingrepair.com
1/2" copper is 1/2" ID (inside diameter) and 5/8" OD (outside diameter).

Terry sent you a really good diagram, the tee that connects to the standpipe can be purchased in many size arrangements; you will need a 2"x2"x 1 1/2" sanitary Tee.

Miketv84

Reaction score
Hell yes got it done!

Thanks ! Other than aesthetic reasons, one of the faucet valves isn't facing the sink as you can see it's around 9 o'clock. It won't tighten anymore and I always have issues with threaded locations dripping. Should I leave it alone, it has no issues. Just wondering if it's a code violation.

Reach4

Reaction score
Your air gap piping feeding (from softener maybe) into the standpipe is supposed to be cut to leave a 1 inch vertical-space gap. If you get inspected, have a hacksaw handy.

Miketv84

Reaction score
Your air gap piping feeding (from softener maybe) into the standpipe is supposed to be cut to leave a 1 inch vertical-space gap. If you get inspected, have a hacksaw handy.

Thanks , a vertical space between what? That pipe was there and comes from a humifilter on the boiler. I've never actually seen anything drip out of it.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks , a vertical space between what? That pipe was there and comes from a humifilter on the boiler. I've never actually seen anything drip out of it.

Maybe only part of the descending pipe would need to be cut to be officially OK. But if this preexists your new work, I would leave it.

Attachments

• img_2.jpg
    img_2.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 264

Miketv84

Reaction score
Maybe only part of the descending pipe would need to be cut to be officially OK. But if this preexists your new work, I would leave it.

Oh ok cool. Thanks. What about the faucet valve direction I mentioned. Leave it alone ?

Attachments

• 20210218_082134.jpg
    20210218_082134.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 259