Laundry Room - Pump and drain line

Users who are viewing this thread

Michael Hoefling

Reaction score
I am new to the joining the site but have been watching on the sidelines for awhile reading as much as I can. Now I have project!

I am renovation my laundry room and moving my washer/dryer that is where the problem comes in. Now my washer is on the opposite side of the drain line. I would like to just use the Zoeller 105 pump and run the drain line down under and across the floor then back up 12-15” to connect to the existing drain line. It’s about 6-8’ across the room. My question is can I use a pump like this to go out of the pump down ...across 6-8’...and then up 12-15”? Seems like the pump could handle it there is not much head and the distance is fairly short I think.

Any thoughts? Should I add an extra check valve or p-trap?

Thanks!
Mike

93B04799-C466-4336-BC8F-B605EE41030E.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
I would think you would not need any pump other than what is in the WM.

Use big enough pipe for the long path. One inch PVC would be good, but maybe 3/4 would be too. I think the output of the pipe may have to be higher than the tub in the washer to prevent siphoning. I am not sure on that point. Can you maybe dump into a laundry sink? You can't pressurize the sewer line.

Michael Hoefling

Reaction score
Here is a quick sketch of what I am thinking. I have just not seen something like this done but I am a DIY person so was thinking it could be done...

Thoughts?

Attachments

• sketch.pdf
    12.5 KB · Views: 176

Reach4

Reaction score
For that sketch, you would need your Zoeller 105. I was thinking of attaching the long pipe as an extension of the washer drain line, and joining a standipe or laundry tub across the room.

Michael Hoefling

Reaction score
Would I need any additional traps? I mean other than the one for the laundry? Or is there anything else I should be concerned about with this setup?

Thanks!
Mike

Reach4

Reaction score
Would I need any additional traps? I mean other than the one for the laundry? Or is there anything else I should be concerned about with this setup?

Thanks!
Mike
If you could dump above a laundry tub, then nothing new needed at that end. Otherwise you may need a new standpipe with trap.

Michael Hoefling

Reaction score
So I got this connected to my pump still need to run the vent. I tested the pump and it works great but now I have another question lol. Because I am pumping under the floor water will remain in the PVC pipe. Is that ok to have water in PVC like this I mean I know it’s in p-traps but I am not familiar with PVC holding this much water.

Thanks!

6C1A7486-F0B6-4296-B56A-FBA26E28CC7E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cjlambert

Red-Seal Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Yes, it’s okay, provided the pipe, fittings and solvent-joints can withstand a pressure of at least 1.5 times the greatest potential pressure the system may see.

You need to install a union + check valve + shutoff valve (in that order) downstream of the pump’s outlet, so that it can be properly serviced, and to prevent the waste water from flowing back into the tank after the pump shuts off. This is code in Canada.

It would also be a good idea to put a union on the inlet and vent, so the unit can be easily disconnected and pulled out if required.

As a final note, the capacity of the tank should be at least equal to the discharge from a single load, in case your pump fails. You might also consider installing a floor drain nearby.

Last edited:

Michael Hoefling

Reaction score
@cjlambert
Thanks for the quick reply!

Yea my kit came with a check valve I just need to get a union and shutoff valve. Also since I’m only going about 1.5ft vertical I think the pvc pipe, fittings, and solvent should be able to handle that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks