Laundry room plumbing with sink and water softener

Users who are viewing this thread

berbil

Reaction score
Hi there, first time poster here. I am renovating my laundry room and making some changes to the plumbing. The washer/dryer and utility sink are moving to opposite walls, and I'm installing a water softener at the same time. I've attached two pictures below that show the current layout and the proposed plumbing routing. I was hoping to get some feedback if the new configuration looks reasonable.

I'm just a DIYer, but I wasn't sure about the long runs for the drain and vent pipes. The plumbing will span three walls. The room measures about 11 feet wide (the floor tiles are 12x12").

Assuming that the pipe slope is correct, are there any issues with this arrangement? Is the 1.5" vent sufficient for the long runs and multiple drains? I appreciate the help.

laundry_existing.jpg

laundry_proposed.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
New Mexico uses the New Mexico Plumbing Code based on UPC. I say that for those reading.

Looks OK to me, but I am not sure. You could save some work by running 3/4 thru the wall, from the softener to a standpipe by the sink, or you could feed into the sink from high enough to leave an air gap into the sink. A standpipe by the sink keeps you from having to run more 1-1/2 inch pipe.

Dryer box through the outside wall is nice for preventing lint buildup.

berbil

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, Reach4. Your idea for the softener sounds good, but I actually forgot to mention that the unit will be installed in my garage, on the opposite side of that wall on the right. So, I think the extended run of 1.5" pipe will need to stay...

Agreed on the dryer box--the original configuration was really ideal for preventing lint buildup. With the new arrangement, I should still be able to vent to the outside where the interior wall meets the exterior wall.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, Reach4. Your idea for the softener sounds good, but I actually forgot to mention that the unit will be installed in my garage, on the opposite side of that wall on the right.
The 3/4 inch pipe could come through the garage wall if you wanted. You would put on a threaded fitting that the 1/2 inch drain line could adapt to. 1/2 inch could be big enough, but 3/4 gives you margin.

berbil

Reaction score
The 3/4 inch pipe could come through the garage wall if you wanted. You would put on a threaded fitting that the 1/2 inch drain line could adapt to. 1/2 inch could be big enough, but 3/4 gives you margin.

Ah, good call. I may consider that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks