Lab Results in, treatment system questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Wodoerson

Reaction score
I just got my lab results back and want to run it by the very knowledgeable and helpful crowd here. The overall goal of the treatment system is no staining, no odor, and drinkable for the entire family (I'm ok with the current setup but not everyone else is).

Abbreviated lab results from e-watertest.com (full results in attachment, 200+ test, everything not listed came back as "nd"):

Ph 7.34
Hardness >400 ppm (I asked what the actual number was, the response was 800 ppm but I don't have much confidence)
Iron 0.608 ppm
Manganese 0.018 ppm
Arsenic 0.004 ppm
TDS 301
Color 30 cu
Turbidity 36.3 ntu

Home based testing:
Temperature 57 F
Hardness 33 gpg (Average of 6 tests using Hach 5B)
Well Output 6.88 gpm (Average of 5 tests)

Based on the above information, I am thinking about the following water treatment system:

-Existing pressure tank (Pentair PSP32-T03-01, installed in 2015)
-New tank Tee and pressure switch (new pressure switch undetermined, currently 30/50)
-CSV (needs additional research on the pump and tank forum)
-Atlas Filtri three bank clear filter housing (90uc Hydra, additional filter?, open. Not even sure if this is a possible combination.)
-1.5 ft^3 Katalox Light in 10x54 tank with a Fleck 5810 XTR2
-3.0 ft^3 8% cross linked resin in 14 x 65 tank with a Fleck 5810 XTR2

Water treatment plumbing is planned to be 1" or 1.25" copper transitioning to 1" PEX to supply the house via remote manifold setup.

Three bedroom, two bath house with two adults and two kindergartners. Most fixtures are updated except the laundry machine (with no plans to update it in the future). Worst likely scenario is two showers and the laundry machine running simultaneously. There is plenty of space in the mechanical room for the proposed system, with room to spare for additional components if necessary.

My thoughts/comments are:

1. I should be able to achieve 12.7 gpm backwash velocity which appears to be suitable for KL
2. For 0.608 ppm Fe+2 is well within the capabilities of KL
3. Service flow should be suitable
4. 3 ft^3 resin volume should provide 7.6 days between regen at 6 lbs/ft^3 using 240 gpd (73k grains per week).
5. Entire repipe will be accompanied with the install of the treatment system (current pipes are at the end of useful life with many repaired leaks).

My questions are:

1. Filter size? Is there such a thing as a trio 4.5 x 20 Atlas with the first being self cleaning?
2. Following the self cleaning filter, should I put in another filter (assuming KL is immediately afterwards)?
3. Should I consider a different iron treatment system (contact tank with oxidizer)?
4. Where can I buy the parts to assemble the treatment system (located in Detroit, MI area)?
5. What would you do in my situation (wife requires city like water)?
6. What is all the crunchy black stuff I find in my filter housing that smells like old school smoke bombs (Filter_30day_particulates with 5uc Culligan filter in bucket with residual water, ~30days old)?

Thanks for reading the wall of text, I'm sure there is something I missed. Looking forward to the suggestions and conversation!

Attachments

• Well_Stats.JPG
    Well_Stats.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 252
  • Lab_Results_1.JPG
    Lab_Results_1.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 255
  • Lab_Results_2.JPG
    Lab_Results_2.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 247
  • System_Layout.JPG
    System_Layout.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 244
  • Filter_30day_particulates.JPG
    Filter_30day_particulates.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The hydra is easily installed ahead of the triple AF setup.

In my opinion I would go with the Hydra first, let it catch the twigs, sand and other strange debris that can come up from a well.

Katalox light is fine, reasonably priced and will do a great job of clarifying the water. It will eliminate the need for the Atlas Filtri triple set-up. The AF trio will look awesome but may be unnecessary.
10x52 KL should be fine, your low levels of iron and manganese and acceptable pH should do a good job.
I would recommend a 16x53 Softener instead of the 14x65. I am sure some people will jump on the channeling issue of larger diameter tanks but... 16" is not that wide. It is typically acceptable for any normal house. The tanks will be nearly the same height, this tends to look a lot better and the valve is easy to reach, no step ladder needed.

The crunchy black stuff... hard to say, possibly just build up of manganese that flakes off occasionally. It tends to have a metallic smell and since most fireworks are comprised of metal...

Send me a pm for recommendations.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks