Kohler fill valve gets stuck not refilling

Users who are viewing this thread

Bpnicast

Reaction score
I have a Kohler toilet (only about 2 years old) with the "silent fill" valve. When flushing, the float cup drops as the water goes out but then the refill does not start after it drops. If I apply just a little bit of downward pressure to the valve arm, moving it down just the tiniest amount further (like 1cm), it then starts refilling. I barely have to press it to get it unstuck. Even if all the water is out of the tank, it gets stuck, so it is not because the cup is floating on remaining water in the tank. I have tried removing/cleaning the rubber seal and flushing the valve with running water - that corrects the problem for a couple flushes, then it starts sticking again and I have to open the tank and lightly press the arm down to trigger the refill to begin. I've tried cleaning the shaft the float rides on, but can't find anything that would cause it to get stuck. The valve is at most 2 years old so it's pretty much "like new". Any suggestions, or should I just buy a new valve kit and replace it?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
For what those cost, I would replace with a new one. Sometimes there are things going on that are beyond where we can put eyes on it.
You can get the Kohler replacement, which is basically a Fluidmaster with adjustment on the bowl refill or one of their generics.

gp1138930.jpg

Last edited:

Rebeccah

Reaction score
I have a Kohler toilet (only about 2 years old) with the "silent fill" valve. When flushing, the float cup drops as the water goes out but then the refill does not start after it drops. If I apply just a little bit of downward pressure to the valve arm, moving it down just the tiniest amount further (like 1cm), it then starts refilling. I barely have to press it to get it unstuck. Even if all the water is out of the tank, it gets stuck, so it is not because the cup is floating on remaining water in the tank. I have tried removing/cleaning the rubber seal and flushing the valve with running water - that corrects the problem for a couple flushes, then it starts sticking again and I have to open the tank and lightly press the arm down to trigger the refill to begin. I've tried cleaning the shaft the float rides on, but can't find anything that would cause it to get stuck. The valve is at most 2 years old so it's pretty much "like new". Any suggestions, or should I just buy a new valve kit and replace it?
I had a similar problem with our upstairs toilet, and I sprayed the shaft with silicone lubricant. It worked for a couple of weeks, then started doing it again. So I got out the silicone spray again and sprayed the shaft for the float again, as well as all of the linkages. haven't had a problem since, and it's been months. Maybe even a year.

jimknock

Reaction score
I installed a new one about two months ago and I still saw water going into the toilet at random times. I replaced the gasket on the can. I still had the same problem. I replaced the can assembly. When I saw how it worked it became clear that the flush valve was not turning off all the way even though the assembly was practically new.
I had been thinking about putting was or grease on the shaft that the float moves along.
Bpnicast Thanks for the advice. I'll just spray everything in there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks