Kohler Fill Valve confusion

Users who are viewing this thread

CathIS

Reaction score
I need to to replace the fill valve on my Kohler Cimarron toilet. K3489 (Class 5). There are 2 fill valves available, GP1083167 with a black stem, and GP1138930 with grey stem. My plumbing store insists the 1083167 will work, but the Kohler website says if you currently have the one with the grey stem you should replace with the grey stem. My toilet has the one with the grey stem but the plumbing store sent me home with the black stem one. Does it matter and what is the difference? I wonder why my new toilets came with what appears to be a "universal" valve.

Furthermore, the installation video refers to Flow Restrictors in various sizes and instructs one to use the colour that matches the one on the old valve. My Fill valve does not have a flow restrictor installed at all. If this is a mistake then how would I know what colour should be used? If there isn't one now, should I worry about putting one in when I do the replacement?

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's very possible that the flow restrictor is built into the valve itself, and the way to tell them apart is by their color.

For a toilet to work right and to use the stated volume of water, the balance of the bowl/tank ratios must be correct. So, while one that is biased to send more water to the bowl would work, it would end up using, potentially, lots more water since the excess will just go down the drain. When working right, both the tank and the bowl get refilled at the same time so there's little waste down the drain. Since only the tank level is being monitored, having the proper balance is important. If, on the other hand, the flow is biased to fill the tank faster than the bowl, the bowl won't get the proper amount of water, and the flush can be lousy - you can't overfill one, it will just go down the drain, but underfilling it means some of the flush volume fills the bowl rather than pushing the waste out, resulting is a weak flush.

To overcome this, some of the aftermarket valves are adjustable (I'm not talking about tank fill, but the balance between tank/bowl).

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Just replace it with a Korky 528MP, with the silver top. Works great in the Cimarron. Easier to install than the Fluidmaster (which is what your "Kohler" valve is). You adjust the refill amount with a little knob on it. You want the MP or Platinum version, not the white cap or red cap ones.

Installation video available on www.korky.com.

CathIS

Reaction score
Jim, Thank you for explaining the need for the correct size of flow restrictor. Since my current valve does not have a separate nipple, I guess I could try to match the inside diameter as closely as possible with the ones supplied with the replacement valve.

wjcandee, Thank you for the suggestion of the Korky. I will look into it. But I already purchased the "black" stem Fluidmaster and not sure if I can get a refund - likely just an exchange. Doesn't look like the place where I bought it carries the Korky.

I am still wondering what the difference is between the black stem valve and the grey stem valve. If there is no difference, then why the warning from Kohler to use the grey one? If there is a difference then I will have to take this one back anyway But would rather just get this job done.

Thank you!!!

CathIS

Reaction score
Just replace it with a Korky 528MP, with the silver top. Works great in the Cimarron. Easier to install than the Fluidmaster (which is what your "Kohler" valve is). You adjust the refill amount with a little knob on it. You want the MP or Platinum version, not the white cap or red cap ones.

Installation video available on www.korky.com.

Just took a look at this valve - great recommendation! Thank you!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks