Kohler canister flush sticks

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYDoofus

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm a first time home buyer and I'm trying to learn how to do things around the house. Pardon my ignorance!

I have a Kohler toilet with a canister flush valve. When I flush the toilet the canister occasionally (50%) sticks at the top and doesn't drop. This results in the water running. I have to lift the toilet tank lid and tap the canister and then it falls and the water stops running.

I have googled this and shockingly no one talks about it. There are countless videos about replacing the gasket but nothing about the sticking problem. To be clear, the water runs bc the canister doesn't fall back down after flushing. There's no issue once it's back down. So I don't think it's a gasket issue. I cleaned the gasket and there was no build up either so I don't think that's why it's sticking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Robbo

Reaction score
@DIYDoofus I realize this is an old thread, but i'm having this same problem. Were you able to resolve the issue? How did you do it? it's driving me bonkers to have to occasionally "tap" the cannister, as you said you also were doing.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes a canister can stick against the fill tube.
Or perhaps rotate the canister a bit so that the chain lines up better.
They also sell a replacement post that the canister rides up and down on.

LarsM

Reaction score
I too had a problem with the occasional kinked chain, which keeps the canister from reseating. My ultimate solution was to replace the chain with fishing wire. It was a pain to get length just right and the knot taught but when done the problem was solved. Needle nose pliers helped with the fishing wire.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks