Kohler Bancroft sink handle leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Theresa D

Reaction score
hi there! i am new to DIY and have NEVER done anything plumbing related in my life so bare with me here. My sink is leaking from the handle - only the hot water side and it doesn't leak underneath the sink, just small amounts of water come out from the edge of where the handle pieces meet on top. It isn't a huge amount of water so isnt urgent, but I'd like to figure it out. My father in law (who has much more experience with plumbing than I) took a look and tried to take it apart to replace the interior piece (not sure what exactly) but couldn't get it with the sink still on the wall, the space was too tight. He was saying it would have to come off the wall to really fix it. Not sure if anyone has thoughts or experience with this type of thing?

theresa-d-01.jpg

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is Kohler Bancroft. From the photo I'm guessing this is a lavatory faucet. The handle base screws counter clockwise to remove. Once the trim is removed you will see the cartridge that needs to be removed. Many times if the cartridge is brass it will be seized into the valve body. If this happens ask Kohler or the parts house for 1131481 and 1131482 end valves.

https://www.us.kohler.com/us/bancro...handles/productDetail/sink-faucets/423352.htm

kohler-bancrofot-white-handles.jpg

bancroft-stems.jpg

bancroft-handles.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
The handle base screws counter clockwise to remove.
Are you talking about turning the horizontal white ceramic piece? Or are you talking about holding the area at and below the red arrow without first removing the knob lever?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
The handle must be removed first before you can remove the bonnet (or skirt). Look around the handle and see if you find a screw of any sort that holds the handle tight over the stem.
OR - remove the whole thing from below by undoing the retaining nut under the sink. Use a basin wrench to do that.
Have the right parts from Kohler ready.
I think that this is what your FIL meant by saying the sink must be off the wall.
When I have a faucet like this, where all parts are fused with calcium and other minerals, I bring in a recip saw and cut the neck of the stem assembly and the retaining nut under the sink, without removing the sink, basically destroying the stem in the process.

If I can't get parts from the manufacturer, I just discard this faucet and install a new one made by another manufacturer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks