Kitchen sinks

Users who are viewing this thread

Gregg G

Reaction score
New construction, double kitchen sink, no disposal because on septic. In another thread, I learned that
double vanity sinks need to each have a trap, and that the drain needs to be 2" after they come together.

Also, I learned that it's okay to use a 2" trap for kitchen sinks (1 size up). I'm a little confused on some
details re: double kitchen sink. So, each vanity sink needs a separate P-trap, but on a kitchen "double sink"
it's okay to tie the two together with a sanitary tee and then just use 1 P-trap?

Is there a minimum or maximum distance between the two sinks? Is 16" a good "rough-in height" for the
trap arm? Planning on using a "standard" 22x33 double bowl drop-in sink.

Kind regards!

upload_2018-1-3_17-43-43.jpeg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Lavs can be connected within 30" but that rarely can happen with double lavs in a bathroom.
A lot has to do with making sure there isn't a lot of exposed piping that allows smells. The less exposed pipe before the trap, the better.

Gregg G

Reaction score
Lavs can be connected within 30" but that rarely can happen with double lavs in a bathroom.
A lot has to do with making sure there isn't a lot of exposed piping that allows smells. The less exposed pipe before the trap, the better.

Okay, I see! So even if you could get a 60" double vanity that just squeaked by with 30" between the bowls, it would have a great potential
for smells because of the 30" + of exposed pipe. I was thinking about slopes, and flows, etc., but never thought about the practical point
regarding smells. Makes a lot more sense to me now. And if I plumbed it with 30" in between the bowls with one trap, and it ended up
stinking, I'd have to redo it all anyway (my better half would insist).

Thanks again for sharing your practical experience.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks