Kitchen sink not draining

Discussion in 'Drain Cleaning' started by Desmond, May 30, 2020.

1. Desmond

Desmond New Member

I think I caused this by flushing coffee grounds down the sink (now I know). I had tried to plunger it and I ended up breaking the seals on the plumbing under the sink. I've since sealed it and have ran drain cleaner through and just today snaked it but no change. Curious thing is that today I easily got 20ft of snake in there yet it backs up quickly, almost too quickly and I had a thought. When I resealed the pipes under the sink I noticed a section that was just fitted in loosely and not sealed and I assumed it was just a bad amateur plumbing job. Now I wonder if that was a natural vent and when I sealed everything, now air can't escape. There is an unused vent piece under the sink left from the previous owner. Picture attached.

Attached Files:

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    That is an unused water supply for a dishwasher.
    No cleanout under the sink which we do by code South of you.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

In the morning, use a 5 gallon bucket of water, and pour water into the sink until backup starts. How much water did that take? You can check how full the bucket is after the pour.

Based on that, we can estimate how far down the clog is.

Is there a window above the sink? If so, that can affect how the drain was probably plumbed in the wall.

5. Desmond

Desmond New Member

It drains so slow I gave it an extra day and it took 2 quarts. 2 quarts and there's water visible up in the drain on both sinks. That feels like nothing and it confuses me even more considering I'm pretty sure I got the snake all the wall down the wall into the basement. Also, yes the sink it up against a window.

6. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

With a window above, the horizontal trap arm may go horizontal to a santee just beyond under the window.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pipe-water-content-volume-weight-d_1734.html

If you have 1.5 inch pipe for the whole path, 2 quarts would be about 5.4 ft. The pipe might get bigger. But that would seem compatible with the path thru the trap, through the elbow, and over by the sanitary tee.

Do you have a trap adapter at the wall that you can use to pass your snake through?

Consider a bigger diameter snake.

I got a RIDGID PowerSpin Plus. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I powered it with a drill.

I bought it for a bathroom drain, and it worked great for me. I actually went through the 1-1/4 trap, and before I knew it, it had played out about 12 ft of snake, and the blockage several feet below the santee had been cleared. I was prepared to enter at the trap adapter on the santee, but thought I would try the lazy stay-dry top entry. I know it has limitations. I understand it was not a big diameter.

I only snaked through the trap in case it worked. Through a trap adapter would give better access, but you would probably spill trapped water.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  7. Desmond

Desmond New Member

And hence the confusion, how am I getting almost all of the snake in there if the blockage is 5ft in

8. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Poking through the goop, and having the hole close behind the snake.

Do you have a trap adapter at the wall?

9. johnnycom

johnnycom New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    Your snake could be going up the vent pipe instead of going down the drain at the san tee where the trap ends. If you can’t figure out a way to guide it down the drain, you can try to run your snake down the vent pipe from the roof.