Kitchen sink drain cleanout Rough in Height

Users who are viewing this thread

isotope

Reaction score
I've checked IPC codes and cannot find any height location requirement for a kitchen sink drain cleanout. I was just wondering what heights other people are roughing in the cleanout for a kitchen sink drain.

Generally, I will use a Sanitary Tee that will serve as the stub out from the wall cavity for the kitchen sink drain. For the cleanout, I would also use another Sanitary Tee directly above the Tee for the drain. However, I am concerned that the higher location of the cleanout will interfere with the deeper kitchen sinks that alot of people are now buying for their kitchens. What height do you guys rough in the sink drain tee and cleanout tee?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I normally install the cleanout below the santee for the kitchen stub out, which I now install at 16".
With a 10" deep sink you would still have room above though.

isotope

Reaction score
I normally install the cleanout below the santee for the kitchen stub out, which I now install at 16".
With a 10" deep sink you would still have room above though.

Interesting. Thanks Terry. Just curious, why do you install the cleanout tee below the drain tee? I’ve always done it above with the thinking that the cleanout could push anything stuck at the drain tee.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Interesting. Thanks Terry. Just curious, why do you install the cleanout tee below the drain tee? I’ve always done it above with the thinking that the cleanout could push anything stuck at the drain tee.

I think you have a good point there. The longer I plumb the more I notice things that I question. A year ago I came across a fixture cross on a kitchen sink and I would have loved having the cleanout above it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; . A year ago I came across a fixture cross on a kitchen sink and I would have loved having the cleanout above it.
You obviously have never come across a "fixture cross" with "baffles" in it, that almost always preclude a snake for entering it from ANY side, unless it has a very, very small head.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
quote; . A year ago I came across a fixture cross on a kitchen sink and I would have loved having the cleanout above it.
You obviously have never come across a "fixture cross" with "baffles" in it, that almost always preclude a snake for entering it from ANY side, unless it has a very, very small head.

Nope. Haven't seen those yet. Not really looking forward to it either.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks