Kitchen Sink -- disposal hookup, drain miscalculation

Users who are viewing this thread

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
lol

I think he's showed a lot of determination to get it done right. As long as he swaps that disposal elbow with a straight tailpiece and adapts to it with a fernco, he'll be sittin' pretty (or at least as pretty as he can with a AAV).

I encountered this exact same situation the other month. I get a call about a simple hookup. I go there to take a look, the cabinets and coutertops are already installed by professionals....but in their "professional" opinion, they decided to cover up the plumbing rough-ins with their corner cabinet instead of having a plumber extend them beforehand! Oh, and the drain was visibly a s-trap and of course the customer didn't even think about calling in a plumber to look at the job before the cabinets were to be installed.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Big Box kitchen designers do that everytime!
New cabinets, granite countertop, deep undermount sink, disposer...

Stop valves and drain is behind the dishwasher they installed and left the connections laying under the sink...

"You need a plumber to hook that stuff up... It will cost a couple of hundred bucks!":mad:

I tell them didn't you know Big Box does sink, dishwasher, and disposer installations??? Pay them a couple of hundred bucks to do it!!!!

Reaction score
Website
www.sandpiperplumbing.com
Move the disposal.

It might help to move the disposal to the other sink too. I see that the right side sink isn't as large or as deep, most often a prep-sink to dump your peelings into. We often mount the disposal on the smaller, prep sink, use a real shallow basket strainer on the larger sink, and a disposal waste kit with a waste arm that comes straight out of the disposal, right into a tee below the basket strainer. Will help move all your waste fittings higher and give you more room under the sink, and more room to make your drain line and trap fit.
For Studor vent situation (AAV's), we typically pipe the drain stub-out low, in two-inch pipe. We cut it close to the wall, turn up with a 2" street-90 and right on top of that put a 2x1&1/2x1&1/2 tee with the Studor vent sticking out a minimum of 4 inches out of the top of the tee. The tee can be pointed right at your tailpiece if you have the room or slightly to the side if it's too close, allowing the trap to loop back to it.