Kitchen Sink configuration

Users who are viewing this thread

Karen Kocik

Reaction score
I have some concerns about the plumbing in my sink area. I have no problem with hiring a plumber but here is a picture of what the last one did about four years ago. It does not seem like it's working too well. Water from the left side seems to up flow into the right side at times. I have just installed a new strainer on the left side so all the pipes are out now. The new strainer is a little deeper and has a basket since we don't have a disposal.

Before I go further to either do it myself, or hire another plumber, the first question is since there are two "ports" in the wall (is this called the wye?), is there a reason one is not being used? Is this the area where you are supposed to clean out the line? It's never been opened as far as I know and I've been in the house for 16 years. Is it possible to hook up each sink to it's own waste port at that junction with the proper trap for each one? Also this last connection seemed to be wobbly when I took it apart, even with the compression rings. Would it be better to have PVC connections that are glued?

I'm a painting/tiling/flooring contractor and understand the basics of electrical and plumbing connections. Is this something I should attempt or have a professional reassemble?

Attachments

• 2014-10-24 09.48.28 Plumbing hookup.jpg
    2014-10-24 09.48.28 Plumbing hookup.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 143

Stuff

Reaction score
It seems to be local preference. Some areas don't want to see two traps going into a wye while others insist on it. Either way works. Your set up should have been fine as long as you have the proper baffle tee that stops things from jumping across . So if you see stuff coming up in the other sink you most likely have a partial clog that needs addressed.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
No disposer and water is backing up? It may be grease downline. You have a cleanout there that is handy for someone with a snake. I hire that out myself. I don't like those spinning cages. What you have for what is there is fine.

Karen Kocik

Reaction score
Thanks Stuff & Terry. I have called on a plumber recommended by a friend to snake out the line and then get their recommendation or help to put things back together.

Karen Kocik

Reaction score
Just an update, plumber came by today and used a jetter to clear the line, and used up all of the 100' hose to the main line. It pushed back three full buckets of black water before the water was clear and the jetter reached the main. I wish I had thought to capture the process! An then he used both ports on the wye to hook up each sink individually. We are golden!!

Attachments

• 2017-06-02 22.36.08.jpg
    2017-06-02 22.36.08.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 130

Reach4

Reaction score
It pushed back three full buckets of black water before the water was clear and the jetter reached the main. I wish I had thought to capture the process!
It is interesting that the plumber was able to get the blow-back water into buckets. Was the flow out pretty slow?

Was the jetter powered by 120 volt electricity, or what?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I prefer doing the drains differently. There is a diagram by Terry here somewhere that show how we do it in the west coast.

Terry, will you please post that diagram for the Charlottesville, VA lady?

sink_dw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Karen Kocik

Reaction score
It is interesting that the plumber was able to get the blow-back water into buckets. Was the flow out pretty slow?

Was the jetter powered by 120 volt electricity, or what?

Yes it was electric, kind of like a power washer on steroids. We had three buckets, as one filled, he shut the pump off, shove another one under the pipe and then continue the process.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks