Kitchen plumbing question

Users who are viewing this thread

randall dee

Reaction score
Hi all,

So, the metal trap under my kitchen sink finally rusted out and started leaking. I figured that since everything had to come out from under there to fix it, that I would update a few things while everything was out. The wall under the sink is open and you can see the 2 copper lines coming up from the basement. Each copper line has a galvanized fitting at the end. from there each one has a 4 inch galvanized nipple. After that the cold water feed has a single valve with a flex hose running up to the cold side of a single lever Moen 1225 fixture. On the hot water side there was a 4 inch nipple to a tee. Then each side of the tee had another nipple leading to 2 separate valves, one for the sink feed and one for the dishwasher. This is what I wanted to update. So I took it all off and replaced it with one single 2 way valve. While I was under there I noticed that the flex hose from the hot water feed to the sink feed was leaking. So I replaced that hose and when I put it all back together and turned the water back on, my water pressure at the sink was about half of what it used to be.

So, thinking that maybe some debris got into the valve cartridge I took it out to check. Once I had it out, I just figured I might as well replace it. So I did. Brand new 1225 cartridge. Still the same water pressure. I've taken it out a bunch of times and re-installed it. I've also run all the water in the house in all of the fixtures wondering if I have an air lock. It seemed to be better for a time this morning but is back to being very weak. The pressure at all the other fixtures in the house is strong.

I did try one more thing this evening, I pulled the cartridge and had my wife hold a towel over the cylinder where the cartridge goes and turned the water back on. The pressure seemed pretty good. So now I'm thinking the lack of pressure issue is somewhere between the the cartridge and the faucet. Maybe I'm not putting the fixture with the cartridge back together correctly.

Any suggestions?
Thanks for reading.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
replace the galvanized with either brass, or solder it together with copper.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Galvanized and copper don't like each other.

Also replace:
- the angle stops (stop valves)

- the flex connectors from the stop valves to the faucet.

Try it now.

BTW, on the hot side, I prefer 2 stop valves. The reason is: If you want to work on the dish washer...you can still have hot water at the faucet...and vice versa.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If the pressure from the hot and cold are equal and does not change when you open both sides, then the problem is in the faucet, probably the aerator on the end of the spout.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks