K-3385-EB Rochelle Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Boont

Reaction score
Question. I have the K-3385-EB Rochelle with old style brass ball flush mechanism. I want to repair it because the color matches other sinks and toilets in my house and I cannot find a color even close.

My problem is I cannot figure out how to remove the old mechanism. I have unbolted and unscrewed everything I can find and it is still impossible to budge, it let alone pull it out of the tank. I took it outside thinking I could turn it over and find something to unbolt. No luck.

What is the secret?

Thanks for any help.
Bill Kimberlin

k-3385eb-tank-03.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One of the hassles with many things Kohler is that they decide to change things frequently.

Can you post a picture of the insides of the toilet so others can see exactly what you have?

k3-064-crop.jpg

Kohler Rochelle on the right.

Boont

Reaction score
Thanks Jim for your post. These photos show my problem. Everything I can find has been unscrewed or unbolted and yet, nothing will move. It is like it is still bolted but I cannot find the bolt.

20190831_171033.jpg

20190831_213401.jpg

20190831_200747.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sorry, I can't help, but with the pictures, it may be easier for someone to recognize the thing and have an idea what is needed to fix it.

My experience (limited) with Kohler is that they are infected with NIH (not invented here). This means they seem to reject what most others in the industry are doing, and go their own way. This isn't necessarily all bad - innovation comes at a cost, though. Most use some common parts inside, and differentiate the rest with how it looks on the outside. Kohler likes to do it both ways, making it hard to identify and even find the parts sometimes, as the design may change year to year. That also makes finding the right parts difficult, as there often hasn't been enough volume to entice any aftermarket company from making a replacement, limiting you to whatever Kohler decides to stock, if they still do.

Boont

Reaction score
Terry, thanks for replying but my problem is that I cannot get the old one out of the tank. I have unscrewed and unbolted everything and still it will not budge. What am I missing here? How do you get it loose?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Terry, thanks for replying but my problem is that I cannot get the old one out of the tank. I have unscrewed and unbolted everything and still it will not budge. What am I missing here? How do you get it loose?

Frankly I don't know why that doesn't come apart. I toss those old toilets. The parts are enormously expensive if you buy the original parts, and they use way too much water. What does it use? Something close to ten gallons? And then it doesn't really flush well anyway. It is artistic though. It's too bad the color is the issue there. I remember growing up in a 50's home. There was the pink bathroom and the green bathroom. That's what we called them. When my mother took a sledgehammer to the pink bathtub, and had it nicely destroyed before my father got home from work, the replaced everything with white fixtures.

Remember harvest gold refrigerators and avocado green?

Last edited:

Boont

Reaction score
OK, thank you. This tells me nothing but I figured it out myself. I will say, that one of your links to a YouTube toilet flush video was worth the price of misinformation to me. I am a writer with a 750,000 following on Facebook. We will have huge fun with this.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I am a writer with a 750,000 following on Facebook. We will have huge fun with this.

I hope you do have fun with it. After reading your posts, I was getting a little worried about your well being. Most the folks on plumbing forums are very nice and have a sense of humor. It's what makes this so much fun. If you like, sending us a link to all the fun you will be having would be appreciated. :)

Thanks Bill.

A video with my son Jamie and his band that I did a few years ago.

Randy Hansen sounding like Hendrix

Hanging with friends at the Tulalip.

Some crazy love here.

Celtic nights.

Last edited:

RustyKnuckles

Reaction score
I've messed with some old cast bronze and cast brass plumbing and marine parts. Perhaps whoever installed it "glued" it in place with cementitious goop which hardened. I suspect at any rate some kind of hardened goop is the culprit here. If so be careful getting it out. I might use some kind of verdigris softener on the inside too to remove any gunk that might be helping it stay in place.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks