Just Curious

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Cracked, May 7, 2018.

1. Cracked

Cracked Member

Since floor drain flanges are supposed to be level with the finished floor, why are wall drain flanges expected to be flush with the back of the ¾" drywall?

This reflects the sum of my drain flange height understanding from all that I have read online. Is my understanding correct?

Thanks.

2. hj

hj Master Plumber

Plumber
    I didn't know they were. Usually they have to be specific distance outside the wall depending on the toilet model.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Cracked

Cracked Member

extending ½" - ¾" in front of the drywall seems more logical.

HJ, do you know the standard distance requirement relative to the drywall for the wall flange?

5. hj

hj Master Plumber

Plumber
    There is NO "requirement". 12" is the "norm' but few plumbers would try to make it exactly 12", because the wall construction, wall finish, etc., could affect the "final dimension", usually negatively.

6. Cracked

Cracked Member

Hi HJ. I'm specifically wandering about wall flange placement in relation to the drywall- level to the front or level to the backside of the drywall.

I read and / or saw somewhere that toilet wall flanges should be flush / level to the backside of the drywall. IOW, it was saying that the flange should be flush with the wall's framing, which = being recessed ¾" since drywall is ¾".

If that is in fact the case, it is different from the requirement of floor flanges to be level with the finished floor. Such a difference makes no sense to me. Logically, both should be level with the finished applicable substrate wall or floor.

7. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Test, Don't Guess!
    I always set the floor flange on the top of the floor and never have a problem with using a standard wax ring. The wall mount works flush, as if someone adds tile later, it wouldnt be too deep.

8. fullysprinklered

fullysprinklered In the Trades

self-employed plumber-electrician doing residentia
    Drywall is 3/4 in? News to me.

9. hj

hj Master Plumber

Plumber
    On the OUTSIDE of the drywall, just like it would be if it were on the floor.